7.5 psi too much for AVS2 ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I have been chasing jetting issues on my 360 with an AVS2 . I cant seem to get it to run lean enough.
So I checked the fuel pressure today and got 7.5 psi ...
Is that enough to push a little fuel be the jets ? It might explain why no matter what jets or rods I throw at it (to a point) the AFR is always running around 12-13.8 and I can smell the raw fuel in the exhaust.

Dead head it, and check. If it is, it should lean out when you block the line, even briefly.

I always ran 4.5 on my Eddy's without any issues. As DesertRat points out, 5psi is what the book calls for and should be max.

Get yourself a quality regulator if you haven't already done so and dial the pressure down. If you still have problems, you may have to readjust the float level.

Last edited:
I have a 500 AVS2 on my 273 +.040. I had to go down one size on the primaries and a spring change to get mine into the mid\high 14's. I run my PR at 4.5.

I have an old holley regulator but of course its got an issue and not lowering the pressure.
I thought the specs were 6.5 -7 psi....
It must be pushing just enough fuel thru to over richen it just a bit.

Its a Carter high volume pump BTW

Lots of Mopar Carter sites say 5, corvette AFB sites will say up to 6. Holley is ~7. AFB/AVS had .090-.110 needle orifice size, Holley had even larger sizes but the float arms may be different lengths providing more 'leverage' on the needle to hold the higher pressures. Id say 5 is about the max you want to run if you can dial that in.

I will either get a new pump or a new regulator.
Im sure I have a stock pump lying around.

I will either get a new pump or a new regulator.
Im sure I have a stock pump lying around.
I have seen stock pumps put out over 10#. Best to check and regulate to 5# or less.

If this is my issue it is so subtle that I never looked for it. Even though I just replaced a buddies pump due to excess pressure. But that one was flooding the engine ans spilling over...obvious

-
Back