70 Dart AMD quarter panel install

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I've got some quarters on order and am trying to find a video or pics of how these install specifically along the top line. So far I haven't found anything that gets into those specifics. I do plan to install the whole panel and not cut it down. Perhaps it will be more obvious when I see them first hand and then again maybe not. Are they meant to overlap along the top?

Depends on what you ordered. Skins or full qtrs. Qtrs will have all flanges and go to the lead joint from factory. Skins wont and generally stop at the upper body line.

Depends on what you ordered. Skins or full qtrs. Qtrs will have all flanges and go to the lead joint from factory. Skins wont and generally stop at the upper body line.
they are full AMD quarters. I don't believe they go all the way to the trunk flange (could be wrong) so there will be an overlap weld along the top from the rear window back....I think. I can't find a pic of them showing the top side.

They should wrap the top to the trunk but will not include the trunk gutter/rail area

They should wrap the top to the trunk but will not include the trunk gutter/rail area

That's what I thought. It just seems odd to me that they will sit proud and then you have to make up the difference with filler unless you flange that area.

I know he does mostly chargers, but have you looked at any of Chris Birdsongs videos on YouTube?

I will have a look

Like doug said. You have to remove all the ild qtr in those flange areas. It should sit proud. When you get the new qtrs it will make more sense to you

You have to melt the lead out of the seam at the rocker and the top at the lower part of the sail panel. i leaded mine back in but a lot of people use plastic filler. I didn’t trust that plastic would hold up long term (maybe it will)
Like everything else, there are videos on YouTube on how to do lead work.

They do not sit proud. You remove the entire quarter and replace it
That would be good if goes to the trunk drip rim....they offer crap pictures.

Like doug said. You have to remove all the ild qtr in those flange areas. It should sit proud. When you get the new qtrs it will make more sense to you

I hope so lol...just trying to put a game plan together. I've done structural metal replacements (floors, etc) but never exterior panels.

You have to melt the lead out of the seam at the rocker and the top at the lower part of the sail panel. i leaded mine back in but a lot of people use plastic filler. I didn’t trust that plastic would hold up long term (maybe it will)
Like everything else, there are videos on YouTube on how to do lead work.

I used to have another car that used lead heavily to get the panel fits. That is not a new skill I am going to fool with being an amateur. I think the use of lead has been superseded by the metal filler products like 'all metal' anyway.

The guy from the AMD Installation Center, Craig Hopkins, did a bunch of excellent videos. Hope this one shows up for you. It is a different year Dart, but it will be basically the same effort.

This member did full AMD quarters on a '70 Dart:

1970 Swinger 340 Hemi Orange 4 speed
Thanks! He lives in Edmonton too. Finally a pic of the top side and it does go right to the trunk which should make the install fairly straightforward (I saw the AMD video which was seriously lacking in any level of detail). There is lots of really good info in that thread and all the pics are great.

Got the quarters, outer wheel well housings, trunk extensions and the expensive rockers. That's $5k in metal :eek:. I also ordered the Ebay Classic Repro front floors and even managed to find good fenders which are on the way too. Fortunately the supplier, RPM, crated the whole lot in a gigantic 8 foot long crate as the AMD quarters are just covered in cardboard. The crate looked like it got hit with a forklift. I only peeled back the cardboard enough to look for damage. It looks like the quarters are complete including trunk lip.
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg

Got the quarters, outer wheel well housings, trunk extensions and the expensive rockers. That's $5k in metal :eek:. I also ordered the Ebay Classic Repro front floors and even managed to find good fenders which are on the way too. Fortunately the supplier, RPM, crated the whole lot in a gigantic 8 foot long crate as the AMD quarters are just covered in cardboard.
Yeah AMD 1/4s come in card board with some bubble wrap. I picked my pair up at Carlisle this year was able to look them over inspect for damage before buying.

PXL_20220716_153440867.jpg

PXL_20220716_153959177.MP.jpg

-
Back