70 Duster 340 resto

-
E

EP87

Hi guys wanted to start a thread on my 70 duster resto. I've been working on it a while so here goes this is what I started with.

duster parts 005 (Small).jpg

duster parts 021 (Small).jpg

duster parts 003 (Small).jpg

duster parts 009 (Small).jpg

duster parts 012 (Small).jpg

duster parts 015 (Small).jpg

duster parts 016 (Small).jpg

duster parts 017 (Small).jpg

After a closer look I found I needed 2 new quarters, new trunk floor, both trunk extentions, drivers side rocker panel, and some patches to the inner rocker panels. this is were I'm at to this point.

duster 001 (Small).jpg

duster 004 (Small).jpg

duster 007 (Small).jpg

duster 003 (Small).jpg

duster 002 (Small).jpg

duster 005 (Small).jpg

duster 006 (Small).jpg

duster 009 (Small).jpg

Well thats as far as I've got up to this point. I'll update it as I make progress.

I welcome your comments or questons.

Wow!!! Looking good... Are you using new quarter skins or some from a donor car? That is probably the same amount of metal I am going to need to replace..

Looks good!:thumbup:
Except for the trunk floor i did the same rust repair to my 71 Duster 2 years ago.

Keep us updated on your progress.

SleeperScamp said:
Wow!!! Looking good... Are you using new quarter skins or some from a donor car? That is probably the same amount of metal I am going to need to replace..

I'm using goodmark quarters, I wish someone made a OE style ones.
Heres a picture of the pile of sheet metal waiting to be installed.
Richard

duster (Small) (2).jpg

EP87 said:
I'm using goodmark quarters, I wish someone made a OE style ones.
Heres a picture of the pile of sheet metal waiting to be installed.
Richard

Those are the same qtrs. and trunk floor exts. i got for mine except i got them from Auto Body Specialties.

EvilScamp said:
Those are the same qtrs. and trunk floor exts. i got for mine except i got them from Auto Body Specialties.

Yah, I lucked out when I got the qtrs, theres a local guy whos a goodmark dealer but didn't stock them but included them his stock order and I didn't have
to pay freight. $179 ea. only had to wait about three weeks.

Something tells me you have dun this before. :toothy7:
That is some nice work you have dun EP87.
Are those my J heads under the red work table :toothy7:

Keep up the good work this will be a good restore to watch :thumbup:

memike said:
Something tells me you have dun this before. :toothy7:
That is some nice work you have dun EP87.
Are those my J heads under the red work table :toothy7:

Keep up the good work this will be a good restore to watch :thumbup:

Yah this is our 2nd 70 duster resto we done. Heres a couple pictures of my son's
. oh and good eye those are J heads.

boobs 030 (Small).jpg

cars 003 (Small) (2).jpg

Are you going to butt weld the 1/4`s or flange and lap them? I`ve got to do almost the same thing on my 67 Barracuda. The paint scheme is nice on the Duster!

Longgone said:
Are you going to butt weld the 1/4`s or flange and lap them? I`ve got to do almost the same thing on my 67 Barracuda. The paint scheme is nice on the Duster!

I think I'm going to butt weld them even though it might be a little bit tougher then the lap weld, I'm lucky since my son (the hemi orange duster) works
for a body shop that does a lot of restoration work, and I can get some of the body guys to come over and help me out.
As far as the paint scheme on the orange duster, were thinking of painting this
one the same way but with sassy grass green, and the black. It might be kinda
cool when we go to shows and cruising together.

70Duster440 said:
Great work Richard! It's like Deja vu looking at your pics.

Thanks I'll have to work real hard to catch up to you, I've been checking your site lately looks like you'll be ready for paint soon.

The original trunk floor did`nt look to bad in the before photo ? not the case once you started poking around on it I guess?

How did the repro trunk floor fit? I have heard they are a little short from front to rear an you need to stretch them a bit did you find this also?

those rockers look like the same ones I bought if they are then they will also need to be re shaped to fit right . Mine where four in. high from front to rear and the need to be 3 in high in the front and four in the rear. A person might think they could make em correct lol

Painter said:
The original trunk floor did`nt look to bad in the before photo ? not the case once you started poking around on it I guess?

How did the repro trunk floor fit? I have heard they are a little short from front to rear an you need to stretch them a bit did you find this also?

The rust damage to the original trunk floor was well hidden with bondo and part of a street sign patch on top. and undercoating on the bottom.

As far a the repro trunk floor your correct, there a little short, maybe 3/4 of a inch in the center and but plenty long on the ends. and they just stop in the back they don't have the flange that goes up the rear panel.
Richard

Jims71duster said:
those rockers look like the same ones I bought if they are then they will also need to be re shaped to fit right . Mine where four in. high from front to rear and the need to be 3 in high in the front and four in the rear. A person might think they could make em correct lol

Yah I agree, I wonder if the manufacturer has even looked at a Duster. lol
I think I could have done better with a sheet metal brake, and some sheet metal
,and that what I might end up doing.
Richard

Thanks for the info, I wonder if there are any rust free trunk pans still out there somewhere to had? I need a trunk pan an the quarter panel due to a collision for mine.

EP87 said:
Yah I agree, I wonder if the manufacturer has even looked at a Duster. lol
I think I could have done better with a sheet metal brake, and some sheet metal
,and that what I might end up doing.
Richard

I installed mine as they where then cut it from the front to within 1" of the rear about a 1/8" up from the bottom. I then overlaped the cut until I got to the right width then tacked it. then you have to finish the cut at the rear (if you don't finish the cut it does kinda look funny) then weld the whole length. Don't know if you needed that info but here it is lol.

Jims71duster said:
I installed mine as they where then cut it from the front to within 1" of the rear about a 1/8" up from the bottom. I then overlaped the cut until I got to the right width then tacked it. then you have to finish the cut at the rear (if you don't finish the cut it does kinda look funny) then weld the whole length. Don't know if you needed that info but here it is lol.

Thats a good idea, I don't think i would have though of that.
Thanks Richard

-
Back