70 Duster Starting Issue

-

rferjo

Reaction score
70 Duster 360 - engine "cranks" but won't start with the key. Jump it at the relay and it runs just fine with key in the run position. Electronic ignition, even had to run a temporary push button start at the relay. HELP! PLEASE!

Did you change the wiring? Get a diagram/ service manual, go over to MyMopar and download one, free

The ignition switch has TWO ignition power terminals "sort of."

IGN1 "run" is hot ONLY in run, comes from the switch, through the bulkhead connector (possibly bad connection) and powers the ignition system, alternator field (70/later) and the voltage regulator. On some cars it feeds smog doo dads, and the electric choke if used

IGN2 the ballast bypass circuit, is brown, comes from the key and through the bulkhead and runs to the coil+ side of the ballast resistor. It is hot ONLY during "cranking" and IS THE ONLY SOURCE of ignition power during cranking

Have you gotten yourself a valid schematic of the car? It is kind of dumb to try to troubleshoot the wiring without it. I think I have a valid set of schematics for that car

OK thanks I am downloading the service manual so I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks for the info.

67Dart273 gotta say THANK YOU! It was just as you said... the "ING2" the brown wire pin had pushed back in the bulkhead. I've always read allot of posts on this site and never thought to ask the professionals. Thought I could figure it out myself. "DUMB" could of saved so much time.

Pawned, Thank you also... now I can concentrate on the good stuff, like driving it.

-
Back