70 duster street strip build

-

moparisbest

Reaction score
In the summer of 2008 i got a 73 duster from a friend for 1700.It had a 383 with a 4 speed and the baby 7 1/4. I drove the car all summer and took it to car shows and had a blast. But it needed lots of work so i was allways looking for somthing else .So i traded the duster for a 47 ford with flat head v8. and a 68 dodge truck . I painted the truck midnight blue and did'nt like it so painted a second time light mettalic blue Got this car and truck to just turn it so i could get another a body thats when i found the 1970 duster . Found this car at a local junk yard .In aug of 2008 didnt have money to buy at the time. So i told the guy i would be back to get it and he siad he would'nt make any promisses.So in feb 2009 i was able to sale the 47 ford to a guy for 4700 i went back to find the 70 duster was no longer there.So at that time i was on the look for an a body of some sort. So i was on craigs all the time looking when i found a 73 scamp race car the guy wanted 6000 for it .Was a really nice car that had a 340 in it. at the time i only had the 4700 from the sale of the furd. So i tryed to get the guy to sale the car with out the engine thanking i would build big block for it. well long story short he backed out at the last min.After looking on craigs for months there it was the junk yard duster i had missed out on .the guy that got it desided he had to many projects so he wanted to sale the duster so i got it from him for 800 in april 2009 and thats were the 70 duster street strip build starts later that month i was able to sale the truck for 2400 View attachment my pics 464.jpg

View attachment my pics 465.jpg

View attachment my pics 382.jpg

View attachment my pics 379.jpg

View attachment my pics 387.jpg

View attachment my pics 385.jpg

View attachment my pics 390.jpg

This shows the floor out and the frame conectors in lot easier to do the frame rails with the floor out i used a grinder on all the spot welds that were still sticking up after getting the floor out and the wire brushed all the edges and put rustoleum on everything except the places that the floor woulld weld to
View attachment 110.jpg

View attachment 111.jpg

View attachment 112.jpg

View attachment 113.jpg

View attachment 117.jpg

View attachment 118.jpg

View attachment 119.jpg

View attachment 120.jpg

View attachment 121.jpg

Good work your doing there. I wouldn't have thought a Kansas car would have that much rust. Good to see your saving her.:coffee2:

Not trying to skip around but wanted to tell a little more about the build process.At one point i went to st louis to buy a duster for parts it is a 75 duster with the a63 package so it had all the options i needed for the 70 but when i got it home and got the build sheet out i decided against striping this very rare car so instead i got a 4 door valiant and a 73 duster in a package deal in kansas two cars for 800 bucks i striped the 4 door sold the 73 and still have the 75 a63 car here are some pics the first pics are of the a63 2 fender tag duster i coul'nt bring my self to strip the next pics are of the 73 i got with the 4 door and the last is the only pic i have of the 4 door
View attachment my pics 477.jpg

View attachment my pics 481.jpg

View attachment my pics 491.jpg

View attachment my pics 482.jpg

View attachment my pics 518.jpg

View attachment my pics 456.jpg

View attachment my pics 466.jpg

View attachment my pics 458.jpg

keep us updated i mite copy some of your work
Im alot further on this build than im showing i just wanted to start from the begining .But you can copy anythang you want .I have tons of pics 643 to be exact lol but i have slow internet so will be putting up a few pics every day untill i get to were i am now thanks for looking

I rebuilt the front end with new pst poly bushing new tube type upper control arms and 1.00 torsion bars. As you can see in the pics i had to cut out a peice of the control arm braket so that the upper control arms would not hit and i have to drill the hole bigger for the brake lines to fit from drum to disc brakes the hose end is bigger
View attachment 251.jpg

View attachment 252.jpg

View attachment 203.jpg

View attachment 204.jpg

View attachment 205.jpg

View attachment 206.jpg

View attachment 207.jpg

View attachment 210.jpg

View attachment 212.jpg

I,ve seen these pics before,but agin...nice work joe!:glasses7:
LOL ! I know petty just wanted to start from the begining for those that havent seen them but with most of the work done its just a matter of my lazy *** to get all the pics posted .o and not to mention my slow $ 14.00 dollar a month internet so can only load so fast .But good to hear from you again petty

-
Back