70 Gold Duster - Question

-

RPMagoo

Just An Old Motorhead
Reaction score
I have a 70 Gold Duster that does not have a vinyl top. It appears that it was born that way. -- It was bought, new, in Tucson Az. I have the window sticker, and there's a sales code -- Y23 -- Which says California Package Edit Waiver. There's also Codes - A94 -- Y6Y, and Y8Y, which mention stripes. -- Does any of these codes indicate vinyl top delete ? --
Duster - 1st Arrived - Outside - Left.JPG

You’ve been pretty cagey on what Duster you may or many not currently own or buy.

So isn’t that the same Duster you used to own? Regardless if you now own it again or are still fishing, what does Google say? Google those codes and I’m sure your answer will be there.

--
_ _ _ _ _ _ what does Google say? Google those codes and I’m sure your answer will be there. --
-- "pretty cagey" ?? _ _ _ Yes I owned it before, and I own it again. _ _ _ _ _ _ I did check google and i didn't find reference to Y23, perhaps, I overlooked it. I came here, because there's a lot of friendly, and helpful, Mopar knowledge. here. --- Just "looking for attention", according to some. -- BTW -- I've owned a few Mopars, and Others. - check My garage = more attention.

Last edited:
Does any of these codes indicate vinyl top delete ?

No such thing.

The vinyl top was an extra cost option, so no way to add and option just to delete it, it simply was not ordered in the first place.

From what I have gathered is your y6y and y8y are possibly meant to be V6X and V8X

V6X : Longitudinal Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black

Side and Tail stripes Black. Does your car have these codes and are those stripes original? I had a 72 gold Duster in the 80's that color and the tail stripe was gold. Could the stripes have been changed to black? gold V6Y V8Y. Just a thought.

100.jpg

101.jpg

From what I have gathered is your y6y and y8y are possibly meant to be V6X and V8X --
V6X : Longitudinal Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black --
Side and Tail stripes Black. Does your car have these codes and are those stripes original? I had a 72 gold Duster in the 80's that color and the tail stripe was gold. Could the stripes have been changed to black? gold V6Y V8Y. Just a thought. --View attachment 1715568367 -
View attachment 1715568368 --
-- The stripes are black and appear to be original. The car is pretty much a "survivor". -- Here's a copy of the window sticker.
70 - Duster - Windpw Sticker.JPG

So they are V6Y and V8Y not Y6Y , Y8Y as you posted. the stripes were Yellow/gold. X is black W is white . Someone changed or dyed the stripes on that car. Most gold Dusters had gold stripes in 70.

So they are V6Y and V8Y not Y6Y , Y8Y as you posted. the stripes were Yellow/gold. X is black W is white . Someone changed or dyed the stripes on that car. Most gold Dusters had gold stripes in 70. --
-- Oops ! -- And Yes They were painted, black, here in My area. - This morning, I found the Guy who painted them. He said that the gold stripes were faded, to almost white. --- Does the Y23 have to do with emissions - or - ?

Last edited:
I thought a V8Y was a yellow bumble bee stripe...at least in '69 it was. No idea on the Y23. Never seen that code before. No vinyl top codes on there that I can see. It's interesting that the Y23, V6Y, and V8Y codes didn't have any charge attached to them. Maybe with the Gold Duster option listed up top with it's stripe options, it superceded the ones down below?

V6Y, and V8Y codes didn't have any charge attached to them.

The gold side and tail panel stripes were included with the Gold Duster package, so no extra charge.

I have a 70 Gold Duster __ _ _ _ I have the window sticker, and there's a sales code -- Y23 -- _ _ _ _Which says California Package Edit Waiver. _ _ _
-- What does this mean ? -- I have found several code listings, but Y23 is not listed.

-
Back