70 Swinger Street/Strip build

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a thread about my retirement build. Most think this car will be done around the time I retire! A friend bought the car hoping the beg for forgiveness instead of ask permission would work, it didn't and I wasn't disappointed as I gave him an immediate out. :)

Started life as a 70 Swinger 340/auto, 3.23 8.75, A/C, PS, PDB, Console, Buckets car. Vit C orange with white stripe and black interior. Engine and trans were non numbers and in bad shape

The canvas.

The BAD!!!

A 70 340 with a performer 318/360 intake and a 73-74 TQ on top. Anyone see anything odd???
No wonder it didn't ever run right.

Looks like a battery exploded at one time. Inner fenders and bottom of hood were torn up.

Got engine removed and this is the lovely engine bay. I took a rag with some alcohol on it and wiped the paint off the pass side inner. I wiped it to reveal the gray. The original plan was to fix the engine, get it running and have the ac work so I could cruise it around in the summer. That kind of went off base once the engine issues were discovered.

I know you have a spare engine floating around for it; if not you could go grab a LA or Mag out of pick n pull and be rollin' no time.

I know a painter you could take it to. Might take two years or so. LOL

I know a painter you could take it to. Might take two years or so. LOL

Well my lazy painter took a long time to get the engine compartment done. Oh wait, that was me... Thanks to Ed "66 Dartman" for the help and guidance during the compartment painting task. Made things much easier

A little rust fixin'

During prep

Primed One of my neighbors drove by when I was in the driveway wearing a spray suit and mask. Called the HOA. I told them I was fumigating the car for roaches and crickets. :)

After - using the hillbilly spray booth!

Well my lazy painter took a long time to get the engine compartment done. Oh wait, that was me... Thanks to Ed "66 Dartman" for the help and guidance during the compartment painting task. Made things much easier

A little rust fixin'

[/URL]

Retire...Hell...I did not know you had a job....LOL

Very nice build! Shouldn't this be over in the members restorations section though???

Definitely not a resto, note the fuel line tabs welded to the pass inner fender.

I scraped about 35# of undercoat from the bottom of the car and there is still more left in places. There is nothing as enjoyable as hot burning tar falling on you!

AdamR will be so happy that I didn't paint the upper shock mounting hardware. LOL

...the engine ran?

Videos or it didnt happen lol!

No, seller said it didn't run as it started running REALLY poorly when it got parked. I never tried to start it after pulling the valve covers to see the mismatched rockers.

Mice or rabbits had chewed through a bunch of wire insulation in the engine compartment. Didn't need any combustible events occurring.

Geez Rob looks amazing !!!!! Nice to have a solid car to start with,Do you prefer the alum lines over braided??? Frame connectors next???? Nice clean job--Steve

Thanks Steve. If I did this car again, I'd buy ptfe/teflon braided line. The aluminum is sometimes a PIA to deal with. Buy the time you buy all the ends, the savings is not that great. PTFE hose is more forgiving regarding routing being flexible.

Frame connectors 2x2x.083 Fabbed up the rear frame sections. I didn't fishplate the torsion bar attachment point. If I need to later I will... got lazy and tried it this way which has worked well for others.

frameconnectors.jpg

frameconnectors002.jpg

frameconnectors001.jpg

frameconnectors003.jpg

So the ptfe would be good to go e-85 ??? How are the fittings to deal with???? Steve

I ran my 1/2" lines just like that an they turned out great. I felt that the hard line just looked top notch over the braided stuff. MHO

The PTFE hose ends are a pain, but once assembled, they are good to go.

Yes, the aluminum line looks good with the black background/contrast.

Words can not decribe how much of a PITA the braided lines are.
I went with the blue line for my car, looks good with the red/blue fittings an the overall them i want the car later when i can paint the thing

Today's project. A battery tray with the starter solenoid, alternator CD relay and relay block gang. A small fuse block is going in the upper right to feed the relays.

-
Back