700hp 493 build specs thoughts

-

Hot Metal

'69 440 Cuda
Reaction score
This is going in a buddies 3700@line 1970 Challenger brkt car that hooks. Minimal street use.
400 block, 4.150 Eagle kit, 10.8>10.9:1CR
TF270's, 264/268@.050 s/roller +/-, .660"+ 1.6 r/rkrs=.704 less lash, not sure on this yet?
2" hdrs, TF B intake or Indy, current 830DP, bigger later 1050 4150/Dom?
single external line.
Hoping for 700, will be dyno'd, runs@Santa Pod raceway, 341FT above sea, good DA
what are your thoughts gents, anything you'd do different, suggestions....
thanks

Last edited:
I’m getting ready to re-assemble my 400/499 kit. That being said, the 400/512 kits are generally a better way to go. More CD on the piston. Plus I like the smaller Chevy rods. Rod ratio on those kits is still ok, same as a 454 Chevy. I sure wouldn’t bother with a 499 kit anymore, it would be 470 or 512. I think you may be able to get trick on the 499’s and get a better CD but they are not sold as a kit. Atleast as far as I know. 440-1 would be my head choice. Your cam specs look like Andy F’s 470 cam? If so I actually run that cam in a 512. It has pretty wild ramps, wouldn’t recommend it for a lot of street use. Of course I’ve been driving mine around.. lol

I’m getting ready to re-assemble my 400/499 kit. That being said, the 400/512 kits are generally a better way to go. More CD on the piston. Plus I like the smaller Chevy rods. Rod ratio on those kits is still ok, same as a 454 Chevy. I sure wouldn’t bother with a 499 kit anymore, it would be 470 or 512. I think you may be able to get trick on the 499’s and get a better CD but they are not sold as a kit. Atleast as far as I know. 440-1 would be my head choice. Your cam specs look like Andy F’s 470 cam? If so I actually run that cam in a 512. It has pretty wild ramps, wouldn’t recommend it for a lot of street use. Of course I’ve been driving mine around.. lol
Noted, personally I did mention about a 470 or 512 more so on the 512 when talking about it all but not my money, I think the 496 kit has been ordered. I don't know exactly how much street driving its going to get, perhaps 30/70 race?..its only out to approx 4>5 meetings a year that may change.
Theirs still a lot of street influence here hence the comp and cam lift of .660 he was talking about, to him thats a big cam and he did mention that perhaps less cam as well so I don't know. I quoted the duration after Andy said that as the 270's have good low lift flow anything much more would not be beneficial, I'm going to try and suggest the 1.6 rockers to get it to .704" but think I'm going to fail there miserably.
So do you think this could reach the 700hp mark with a 264-ish@.050 .660 s/roller, 10.9:1 pump V-power and the 270's an Indy intake and a big 4150? one of our Mopar racers who builds a lot of these 493/496/499 motors reckons easy 700, I'm not so sure its that easy, thats quite a mild combo for my liking and that hp but then I haven't got to drive it on the street. At the end of the day this a brkt car but he wants to go from 11.0's with the 440 to at least 10.40's which it will do but thats a lot of money to go just .6 quicker in my book if it doesn't make the hp.

Last edited:
This is going in a buddies 3700@line 1970 Challenger brkt car that hooks. Minimal street use.
TF270's, 264/268@.050 s/roller +/-, .660"+ 1.6 r/rkrs=.704 less lash, not sure on this yet?
single external line.
Hoping for 700, will be dyno'd, runs@Santa Pod raceway, 341FT above sea, good DA
thanks

That is very close to what I have. Idk what heads he is running and I don't know the LSA on that cam. He has a touch more compression, duration and carb than me. Mine was supposed to be a 512 and ended up a 440 and makes 602@5,900

I was told by jim laroy if it was a 512 it would have made 650hp.

I don't think 700 is out of the question with that compression, the stroker, the right heads, that duration and les LSA than me, with that bigger carb on top.

I understand 700hp is at or near the limit of the glass ceiling with a stock block. Keep the reciprocating assembly as light as you can. Good luck. Looking forward to the dyno results on this build myself.

Will he ever hit the motor with a NO2 shot?

No on the N02, UKNSS class is NA only.
Don't know the exact spec it will end up at but when it does I'll put it all up inc. the dyno hp.

single external line.
thanks
After having an Eagle crank in a 493" in a drag car I bought break and ruin half the engine using anything Eagle from now on would be a no for me unless it was a very mild build.

After having an Eagle crank in a 493" in a drag car I bought break and ruin half the engine using anything Eagle from now on would be a no for me unless it was a very mild build.
I tend to agree with you, I heard bad things as well true or not, doesn't inspire one. He wouldn't go with a source kit cos the shipping was too expensive he said. Who am I to argue with that, He's paying nearly £4000 for the eagle kit to be delivered to his door if thats what he's actually ordered, wonder how much he's saving on that when a source kit is $2299+shipping and £/$ is 1:1.

Way more than that. Study expansion ratio.

Cr is it of course but this is a pump gas deal on V-power. Dom Thumper runs the old Isky .660 and has done for years@12.1:1, no issues on pump, I could not persuade him to do that.

I tend to agree with you, I heard bad things as well true or not, doesn't inspire one. He wouldn't go with a source kit cos the shipping was too expensive he said. Who am I to argue with that, He's paying nearly £4000 for the eagle kit to be delivered to his door if thats what he's actually ordered, wonder how much he's saving on that when a source kit is $2299+shipping and £/$ is 1:1.
If he is on a budget I would use Scat way before Eagle

Way more than that. Study expansion ratio.

Cr is it of course but this is a pump gas deal on V-power. Dom Thumper runs the old Isky .660 and has done for years@12.1:1, no issues on pump, I could not persuade him to do that.

Thats too bad because he gave up quite a bit believing pump gas CR doesnt matter and the chart that shows a 1-2% gain from raising the CR from say 10:1 to 11:1 which isn’t true.

Thats too bad because he gave up quite a bit believing pump gas CR doesnt matter and the chart that shows a 1-2% gain from raising the CR from say 10:1 to 11:1 which isn’t true.
I have heard that 1 point raise is 10 hp

Increasing the compression by a point or 2 will bring more torque and horsepower earlier in the RPM range and will increase overall torque and horsepower.

I liken it to the difference between an M-80 and a firecracker.

I think he could make 700 HP but definitely not on any street driving, that 700 HP is going to come in around 6800-7000 rpm with the max wedge ports maybe even higher.
Andy F (where is he) made well over 700 with 240 trickflows and a similar cam in his 470. His was custom from prh, those lobes in comps book are radical as all hell. He also was running pump gas 10.5 but had a very trick drysump system, super professional ported intake manifold, lots of stuff I can't afford lol. But if you want to make 700 hp, just read his stuff and copy it you can't go wrong I suppose.

I'm kinda thinking when we Dyno my 470 I'd like to get a number with the 11.4 & take my heads off to work and mill them down to get 12.4 compression.
Just to see.

There is guy South of me that made 787 HP with a pump gas 451.
Before he retired, we had frequent earthquakes on dyno day. lol
We could feel it up here in the LC valley.

-
Back