71 340 AIR CLEANER PAINT

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Ive looked up to see if the air cleaner on a 71 340 is suppose to be wrinkle finish or satin black. Ive seen both. Which is right ?

This may or may not be of any help, but I have read that sometime in the mid-'71 model year Ma Mopar switched from wrinkle finish to satin/semi-gloss black; which could explain why we see "original" examples in both finishes (They may also have been using up remaining '70 inventory, which was wrinkle). If this is the case, if you have an early production car, paint it wrinkle- if it's late production, semi-gloss. No idea on a date of the cutoff.
For what it's worth, the last '70-'71 air cleaner I had (way too many years ago, and it was original finish) had a light wrinkle finish- way lighter than the usual heavy VHT black wrinkle.

VHT or HD paint. But if needs assay real work like bead blasted just get a,power coated place to do it.

I have an original that has the non wrinkle finish so I would say both finishes are legit.

The original one from our 71 Challenger was wrinkle coat...

I had @CudaChick1968 do one of mine with her black wrinkle powder coat and it turned out fantastic...

Ive done things in wrinkle finish before & they have turned out nice. Its all in how you do it

The original one from our 71 Challenger was wrinkle coat...

I had @CudaChick1968 do one of mine with her black wrinkle powder coat and it turned out fantastic...

I just ran across your gracious comments a couple nights ago Karl! The air cleaner -- and that famous Spot Check lol [fans love that picture too!!!] -- made me smile all over again. (I've been giving my website a SERIOUS overhaul (not just a tune up) and was adding things to the Feedback page.)

Screenshot_20221006-112910_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-112929_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for your business. You're one of thousands of marvelous metal memories I carry around every day in my heart. <hug>

As to specifics on the 71s, they've arrived here for restoration both ways AND with wrinkle outer and semi gloss interiors, including the bottom of the lid.

-
Back