71 Dart 410 stroker ..

-
Had a pretty good head wind on Saturday

4762.jpeg

Since this car is going to the March meet in Bakersfield in March 5 -11......got to get it tuned up...

1st thing the trans is coming out...broke the tailshaft last weekend...looks like the stock trans mount took a crap...got the Energy Suspension polyurethane mount ...
Got a brand new converter from Ultimate Converter set up for the stroke in lieu of a 35 yr old converter.
need to fix small brake fluid leak at the proportioning valve...easy while engine is out..
swapping 1.5 intake rocker for 1.6 intake rocker...got a set all mocked up and ready to go...
New plugs....up the getting for the change in elevation...

Leaving Wednesday morning to run the Wednesday TnT......got a few more tricks up our sleeves to see what the best ET we can get......

Last edited:
dont think it got damaged but I will went I get to repairing that 904....just swapping them out for now.....waiting on part now then everything goes back in...as I only have a week....we are leaving Wedneday morning...

we will be there for 5 days...that is enough for the next 3 yrs....

Got to the garage late...only got the motor and trans mated.....brand new converter dropped right in...tomorrow it goes back in....running by Saturday

motor and trans in last night....Tonya and I worked on it this morning....one header bolt on driver side is being an asshole....need water...oil and tranny fluild it is a go tomorrow...

Interesting thing...found a broken rotor on the distributor thought it might have happen while out of the car for the past week....but looking closely you can see marks on it showing it was running...had brand new spare...was going to swap it out anyway....

need to rejet carb...install new seat belts...and 1.6 intake rockers....they are all set up on shafts ready to go...

well....I put 8 qts in it this morning....It is just on the tip of the dipstick....going to pick up another 10 qts at walmart this afternoon....fire it up....trans works like a charm...all the gear forward and hit trans button in neutral it backs up....engage 1st gear ...hit trans button and it did not move....all is working great....

after doing battle with that trans in that Duster if good to see it working...

this afternoon I will go swap out rockers and rejet carb......tomorrow is wash and put in trailer...

the new adjustable timing rotor from Acell....made in China model....
the other edge is ground down and see in the cap ....
we noticed that the engine idled better with new rotor...

20190303_105124_resized.jpg

Ran over and removed 1.5 rockers and shafts...installed 1.6 intake/ 1.5 exhaust rockers.....still have 1.5 set up ready to go if needed....will be in plastic bag in trailer..plus some spare pushrods.

well...trailer is packed.....i am packed....we depart 5 15 am tomorrow morning. Going to March meet in Bakersfield...I hope to survive 5 days there....

First place prize is one week in Bakersfield
Second place is Two weeks...

:)

I’m not one that enjoys multiple days at the track.... I always leave March Meet vowing to simply keep it on the “been there/done that” list, but as I sit here typing this..... I REALLY wish I was there! Good luck Team TNT!

We are still in Bakersfield....car wise it has been a disaster.....since the room is paid for...we are staying until Sunday morning anyway....get to sleep in tomorrow....Will post later all the exciting **** ...lol

wednesday or Day 1....we leave Vegas at 6 15am....raining all the way to Tehachapi Pass...Kalifornia Roads SUCK....potholes are as big as craters....On Highway 58 coming down the mountain 3 cars off the side with blow outs from hitting potholes....had to keep looking in the mirror to make sure trailer was still with us....in Barstow...i buy two sodas....i ask for a bag...she says that will be 10 cents...LOL,,,,

We get to Famoso Raceway just before noon...line not to bad to get in....get tickets...get thru the gate...guy on golf cart ask what role are we in....hell if I know...no one told us ....finally someone shows up with a list...we are in Role 14...lol......we luckily get a pit spot that is not flooded...

get car out of trailer...need to do a few things...change jets...run the valves...head for tech....3 staging lanes full of cars to tech...one guy doing tech....finally a girl starts teching cars....she takes 15 minutes to tech a 12 second car ...open hood twice...looks at seat belts for the passenger side also....LOL....

We get lucky ...3rd guy shows up...He remembers Tonya from a 1.5 years ago went we broke a valve there...he just takes her tech card...looks at the belts...and ask if we have a 727 or 904...904 with CSR shield....he says great...we have to wiggle to get out of the staging lanes...i guess...smiling at the tech guy helps....

get in line...she does a 2nd gear burn out...pulls to the line....on the transbrake...away she goes...then I hear engine rpm...and all kind of ****...calls me from the top end car will not crank...ok...plug on NSS falls off....jump with screw driver...she drives back to pits...said car has no 2 gear...run 14.50 ...we are on our way...

Find NSS plug laying on headers...fires car back up...put shifter in neutral hits transbrake button no reverse...and 1st gear ..no transbrake in 1st gear...****...we get the car jacked up in the air on 4 jack stands....i adjust linkage...hoping that is it...nope,,,,ok...are we getting power to the brake...yes...ok...maybe the wire inside the pan fell off.....off comes pan...nope it is connected...we decide to drop valve body to test solenoid....PLUS with this shield on I have a hell of time to adjust front band...as I can see that is why we have no 2nd gear...my screwup...

we test solenoid...does not work...we see bare wire hot wire grounding out...solenoid fired...well..so much for transbrake for the weekend...as no one has a solenoid that fits a TorqueFlite brake..only issue is the valvebody is brand new....and i got spares back in Vegas.....we are done for the day...sun is setting...and i have been lying in the dirt all afternoon under the car....Motel here I come...hot shower...dead in bed...

Day 2 or Thursday....head out to track after hitting mickey d drive thru...ok...we decide to try to adjust band and run the car without the brake...foot braking...and no reverse...
Trying to get 3/4 socket on jam nut....shield is in way even though i had cut some of it away last time to be able to adjust front bad.....need something to break off small piece of shield stopping from letting socket engage....we head to the swap meet as neither one of my screw drivers will do the job even with BFH.....we fine a tool with a point on one end and chisel on the other...about 18 inches long....12 dollars....after about 10 minutes of banging on the shield....Tonya with her small hands get the socket on and breaks the jam nut lose...I adjust the band from the inside of the pan...not my 1st rodeo...not even count the turns...just eyei hall the lever and how far is it from the plunger...I hold the adjuster from the inside and she tighten the jam nut back up....
Clean up valvebody...install it...clean filter and pan and get it installed...adjust shifter...bingo...we now have a 3 speed again....

We missed the only time trial this morning.....so around 3 pm...there is a call for a clean up pass.....for anyone who has not gotten a pass....we have the back tires off the car doing some cleaning ....tires go back on...Harbor Freight electric impact wrench does it job....tires on...down it comes off the jacks..we push it out of the pits....off she goes to the staging lanes...2nd gear burn out...ok...she launches....car looks slow....rings up a 11.27 at 116......Ok...we lost a full second...she said car was cold...and she did not have it floored....ok....Tomorrow is another day

Day 3 Friday.....Leave Motel...stop at Jack n Crack for breakfast sandwich....heading for the track...it starts to rain...suppose get 1 time run a 8 15am....ok....track dried...now 10 am...head for the staging lanes.....we are going to rip one in the cool morning air...nice burnout in 2nd gear....away she goes...11.32 at 115.....hell bells and it aint all well.....let is cool off...start looking for something wrong...checking timing...check valves...check to make sure damper has not slipped ......we had pulled number 1 plug out...and used a Straw down the spark plug hole to watch went we got to TDC...ok...going to pull all the plugs...all are clean as a whistle...ok...going to do compression test with finger...I crank engine with finger in no. 1....hand get douched with water from cylinder no 3....head gasket.....DOA...

One thing I noticed earlier went the engine was cold I went to remove radiator cap and it blew cold water ....was under pressure...

set the valve covers back on...put the nuts and spark plugs in the tool box....will push car back into trailer Saturday morning....we get to sleep in too...

Car in trailer depart Sunday morning going to watch friends in second round

-
Back