71 Dart 410 stroker ..

-
Finally got back to degreeing in the cam...moved the crank gear A2 degrees....centerline method 103.5....opening and closing at .050 I get 104.....looking for 104....bingo...I always check it twice.

Gotta go pull the old 360 out of the Dart this morning before it get to 107 degrees as forecast.

It was only 100 by the time I got done just before noon...had to change oil in a couple of vehicles....

The starter always has to come out of there If the headers are left in the engine bay...I unbolted the starter and left it laying there...and it jammed between the engine and headers was would not let the engine come out.....so much for saving time and not just letting the starter drop...as the wiring is set up to allow that...dud...

20170722_122706_resized.jpg

I need the oil pan....heads ...intake...off this engine for the 410...
hoping to have the 410 back in next weekend.

The darn starter! every time- I think it's just a little mini starter and it's not going to get in the way and every time!

Got engine and trans separated....and engine up on engine stand NO. 7...intake off and cleaned...heads off and cleaned...oil pan off and cleaned...timing chain cover is off...

like more cleaning and reassembly starts...still looking at having the engine back in this weekend...

20170725_133144_resized.jpg

20170725_133135_resized.jpg

No. 7 engine stand...LOL...if you looked at Dart driver side corner...tool box on floor...you can see a engine stand there also...actually there are two...complete 360 magnum short block...and complete machined 318 block waiting to get stroked to a 390,..got all the parts..just need to balance motor...

Found two blunders that need to be fixed ......

1st...had 3 and 5 pistons reverse....went to flip short block over to put pump and pan on ...noticed that the intake valve pockets were in the wrong place....knocked the pistons out...swapped holes...and knocked them back in...LOL

2nd....was putting oil galleries plugs in....and i forgot the two small plugs that go behind the cam thrust plate...so tomorrow the timing chain cover needs to come off...along with the trust plate....crap...

put got the oil pump and pan on....two steps forward...one step back.....

heads are all cleaned up and ready to go on......Studs are in place...

Funny, someone else has an office chair in the garage! Always important to have a comfortable seat so when something is fighting you, you can sit down and relax for a minute.

Two office chairs ....my grandson comes out and plays games on the computer...

Got the heads on today....Had to fix a intake Helicoil...then had to fix a flat tire on my pick up...nail

Still gotta pull timing chain cover for oil gallery plugs...

Last edited:
Got the timing chain cover off this morning and got those oil plugs in....but as i was tuning the engine over to get the dots lined up before removing the chain....i felt the crank hit something but it continued to move...I figured something was hitting the oil pick up tube.....

after getting the oil plugs in behind the cam thrust plate...i removed the oil pan....rod is nicking the oil pickup tube where Moroso put the nipple on the tube...actually was nicking the plug weld on the nipple...10 seconds with a grinder and no more nicking...

there was actually a shinning spot on the weld where it was just touching...

20170729_111631_resized.jpg

20170729_115002_resized.jpg

worked on it for another 2 hours or until I was wet with sweat...LOL

Well..as I guess..the Howards Direct lube lifters are based on an AMC body...and have a higher seat. ....then the mopar solid lifter...so the pushrods from the old 360 can not be used on the new 410...put the pushrods for a hydraulic cam with adjustable rockers do fit....amazing..Looks like I got one thread showing ,,,,,I needed to buy a set of pushrods for the other 408....kill two birds with new lifters....need to finish adjusting rockers...as I only adjusted one set to check length....

Need a can of paint...have not finished painting the block.....did not make this weekend install...but getting close....

20170730_125524_resized.jpg

20170730_125834_resized.jpg

20170730_125531_resized.jpg

another hot day in the garage.....ran the valves again...I had noticed that two pushrods were not correctly seated...fixed..

primed the motor today...got 60 psi with a speed handle...initially forgot to put oil filter on...then i removed one bolt on the end ..high side..poured oil into shaft..then used to squirt bottle to shoot oil and it squirted out of rockers..

Got all the free plugs in except two in rear because of engine stand....

20170802_121532_resized.jpg

20170802_123619_resized.jpg

View attachment 1715078772

Intake manifold goes on tomorrow...and then it comes off engine stand ,....trans get bolted on....ran a tap thru the converter lugs...got the converter and flexplate lined out...paint one lug so I have an easy match up....recoated the camshaft with lube...Joe Gibbs Driven...

faster then the previous 360..........

got the motor in the car this afternoon....

nice thunderstorm cool things off..

couple of pictures before i took it off the stand...and dropped it in...put the trans xmember under trans...then went home...soaked with sweat again.

20170804_121027_resized.jpg

20170804_121039_resized.jpg

20170804_143713_resized.jpg

Do you run a t-stat with your electric water pump? I noticed that your by-pass hose is blocked on the intake.

I have the same electric water pump and don't us a t-stat either. But do run the by-pass hose...............Hadn't real thought about it until i seen yours...............
The by-pass is just at. For when the t-stat is closed. I may have to rethink my by-pass hose.
Really don't need to by-pass the water back to the pump.

no thermostat...on/off switch...
My water pump turns on and off by itself as does my cooling fans. Two less things to think about at the starting line. Water pump turn on at 160 degrees and cooling fan come on at 185 Degrees.

What are the Et goals again

Hard one to guess at...the old 360 exceeded expectations....never did I expect it would run a best of 10.54 in Vegas or 10.31 in Bakersfield...I should have just replaced the head gasket and left it alone...I believe it started out running 11.20s in Vegas...but the engine got faster and the car suspension got better...and lighter...

Anyway....the obvious 40 cubic inches more...a lot more torque....12 to 1 compression vs 11 to 1 compression.. next size bigger cam...hughes 264 vs hughes 260 ....
lighter rotating assembly then the 360....Eddy heads are Fresh with 2.08 intake valve...

two things that i have questions about....torque converter and rear gears...going to start with the 4.56 in rear (dana 60)...I think it probably should be 4.30s....will find out in a few weeks....what kind of rpm the motor runs....has good parts...but usually run the rpm conserveraly.

torque converter....was using a TA 4400 series converter....flashed 5200 ish with 370 cu in motor... I elected to go tighter with a TA 3800 series....It would flash to 4800 rpm with 360....so I would "guess" with 4 inch crank...it would flash around 5000 .....

So Friday sept 8 we have a TNT with a Sat/Sun bracket race...get some passes in...get rings seated...and one more race on Sept 23......after that we will make some decisions on the torque converter and gearing....as Nov 4 and 5 it is heading for some cool air in Bakersfield...

I think this engine will have an easy 50 hp advance of the 370....once everything gets sorted out...So I would expect it could run 10.30-10.50 in Vegas depending on the weather...but as I say..the clocks don't lie....So what does it run in Bakersfield....lol

Last edited:
-
Back