71 Dart 410 stroker ..

-
It is hell getting old...lol
Todays goal was to get 4 set of rings filed since I hate doing them...and knock 4 pistons into bore....Odd side...
Working slowly I go thru process of filing rings....got my Proform electric ring filer...buzzing away.....get those done...
Clean the pistons...clean the bores again....light coat of oil on walls...start knocking pistons into holes...everything going smooth...
All done....then I see on the work bench...top and 2nd ring setting there....oh ****....I had marked the rings with a sharpie...so i knew what bore they were measured in....well...I was wondering why no 7 piston went so smoothly.....out it comes ...yeah...no compression rings on it...had oil rings...time to call it a day...
Finish the other 4 tomorrow....daughter will be there to help...

What a day....Daughter came over ....I finished cutting the top and second rings....got the pistons cleaned and loaded..got all pistons in with no missing rings....torqued the rod bolts...
placed the hughes 6468 flat tappet camshaft in the block...hooked up all the dial indicators and degree wheels and got everything dialed in...no problems...center line 104...checked opening and closing evernts..perfect..duration at .050 right on....gross lift on cam ....again..perfect...

got oil pump and pick up off the old engine and clean things up and bolted on new engine...same with moroso pan.....then knocked freeze plugs in block...
need to get a timing chain cover ....cleaned up and probably a new seal......then paint...got new water pump in box today.....

Ran into one issue today,,,,block came back from machine shop with no dowel pins on the block for the heads....and i dont think i have any.....will have to go to machine shop on monday...
Asked the daughter what color to paint the block....we went with Chrysler blue... So short block will be completed tomorrow...

Last edited:
Part Two...the old 410 motor....
so i was cleaning the oil pan and i noticed a couple spots of rust on the passenger side front of the pan...got my free HF led flashline and crawled under the motor on the engine stand...i could see a trail of rust and drops of water from no.2 cylinder bore....that foreign object must have caused the piston to rock and crack the block.....can we say Sleeve...lol

Part Two...the old 410 motor....
so i was cleaning the oil pan and i noticed a couple spots of rust on the passenger side front of the pan...got my free HF led flashline and crawled under the motor on the engine stand...i could see a trail of rust and drops of water from no.2 cylinder bore....that foreign object must have caused the piston to rock and crack the block.....can we say Sleeve...lol
Never rains but it pours. At least you know now whats up.

yes.....it was good to know....once i get this dart running again...i will get it tore down and off to the machine shop.....need to check the rod and main bearing to see what kind of condition they are in,,,,,

I’ll make a suggestion......

When the new motor with the new TF heads is up and running..... start a new thread for it when it goes to the track.

Be easier to keep track of the various motors that way(at least for me it would be).

Glad you found where the water came from.

Looks like it going to be awhile for the new TF are up and running...did a stupid thing this morning....had bolt break off while putting timing chain on and that started a terrible event.....

you never have too many spare motors ....lol

Looks like it going to be awhile for the new TF are up and running...did a stupid thing this morning....had bolt break off while putting timing chain on and that started a terrible event.....

you never have too many spare motors ....lol

Well..... that sucks.

i drilled out the broken bolt...get tap out and tap it for a heil coil....heil coil screws up....something wrong .......had to pulled heil coil out....run tap again....put new heil coil in again...again...the bolt will not screw into heil coil....put it out......used drill bit again....and........hello cylinder ...i see daylight.

So i have an old standby 372 cu in ...,070 360....that used to be pretty fast...
It will have SM ported heads by IMM.....MP590 cam...
to be continued....

Man....... that just fkn blows.

Sounds like two sleeve jobs now.

Had I done that...... tools might have been flying.

Any flow numbers on the heads?

i did that once 25 yrs ago.....you would have thought...I kept an eye on how far the drill bit was going but....**** happens...yes...two sleeve....one block already has no. 8 sleeve...now no. 2 will get one...Machine does a great job ...He gives me a discount ...lol

So now...I will push to fix the 410 engine.....then the 408....the 410 will get the TF heads...it will actually be a 414...lol

Ok....IMM did two sets of heads for me....one SM and Eddy...both were bare....both got 2.055/1.60 Ferrea valves...both got PAC 1903 springs for flat tappet cam....both 63 cc....

SM

.100 74/56
.200 150/109
.300 205/150
.400 245/180
.500 272/200
.550 281/205
.600 290/209
.650 289/211

The eddy heads are pretty much the same..they varies a few cfm either way...i guess i could post them too...lol

eddy head...2.055 intake 1.60 exhaust...

100 72/55
.200 148/108
.300 204/149
.400 247/181
.500 278/202
.550 285/207
.600 292/210
.650 290/211

Very nice area under the curve, especially for such small ports.

To be in that flow range with the Brand X stuff, you’re usually looking at a physically bigger port.

Talk to Brian at IMM....i just bought the parts and paid the bill....lol

he did all the work

Should have the block at the machine shop next Monday as it is a short week...and no one is doing anything anyways...including me...lol

Tonya and I knocked the pistons out of the block...yes....cylinder number 2 has a crack in it....It goes to the machine shop monday......Probable 3 weeks turn around....have it back together early feb...so stay tune...

I have always put the head gaskets on with no coating or anything....will give it a try
I put hylomar around all water passages. This stuff is highly regarded by everyone. Chrysler uses it at the dealership and sold it to the public through Mopar performance. Patented by Rolls Royce
I believe.

Looks like after 47 times...i finally got it working correctly...lol.....tires are moving ...shifts...and no tranny fluid on the floor...

Question for you, I think I see in the video an autometer fuel pressure isolator. Are you using the isolator with e85 without issue?
I read not to use those isolators with alcohol but what about e85.

got the motor and trans out....heads are off.....looks like something fell into cylinder no.2 ....see marks on head and piston....the other chamber is the one that was repaired....
i did not see anything jump out at me on the head gaskets...i will wipe them off and take another look on Wednesday....

These heads are not going back on that short block...they dont like each other...lol
All the cylinders looked good....

I got two sets of heads that i will pick up tomorrow in Indio...one set of ported eddy and one set of SM...one of those sets will go on this short block....
need to get the pan off and get things cleaned up and get another set of those expensive head gaskets.....lol....

View attachment 1715441368

View attachment 1715441369

View attachment 1715441370
Does that look like a hardend valve lock got inside? Maybe lost one in a port , never find it ...and just get another assuming it went under the bench.... Do you even use a wing nut on the carb..?
That is really odd and the shape of the impressions is unique to only a couple things i can imagine.

Cotter pin......
Had been using the fuel isolator for many years now with e85......

-
Back