71 Dart 410 stroker ..

-
I've seen a new in box head with a broken valve before. **** happens. Sometimes you'll never know.

@MOPAROFFICIAL
Thanks. That was insightful. I just glanced at the photo, not inspect it. But I would have missed that anyway. I haven’t had that happen to me nor seen it up close from someone else.

I’m preparing to an engine with some high lift myself right now. Not as high as .707 but mid 6’s.

What do you mean by pull the stem out. You had the head pull right off the valve. Did you have a drastic failure that broke the motor.
I am not understanding the failure you are describing. Could you elaborate a little bit please.

The stem would come out of the valve head and the head of the valve would drop into the engine. Severe damage to the head both times. Ruined piston both times, had to sleeve the block one of the times. First time happened @ about 1300 passes w/ Manley's lower cost valves valves. Second time happened @ 1350 passes with Manley extreme duty valves. So after that I replaced them @ about 1000 passes. no more problems. This was in a W2 340 with a solid flat tappet cam. I assume that with a solid roller you'd have to replace the valves sooner. But I don't know that for a fact.

The stem would come out of the valve head and the head of the valve would drop into the engine. Severe damage to the head both times. Ruined piston both times, had to sleeve the block one of the times. First time happened @ about 1300 passes w/ Manley's lower cost valves valves. Second time happened @ 1350 passes with Manley extreme duty valves. So after that I replaced them @ about 1000 passes. no more problems. This was in a W2 340 with a solid flat tappet cam. I assume that with a solid roller you'd have to replace the valves sooner. But I don't know that for a fact.

Wow, you race alot...good for you! Most likely, the springs were giving up way before the valve failed causing the valves to bounce so much they fatigued and failed. If you were replacing the springs regularly (like every 400 runs or so) then you just exceeded the life cycle of the valves.

machine shop called this evening said everything will be ready to be picked up went I get there
friday....before lunch......

Last edited:
beautiful day for drive across the endless desert....Came home with 3 sets of cylinder heads....1 aluminum for this engine and two sets of cast irons....

WhaaaaaAaaAAaT?!?!?!

What ya pick up???

No. 2 at In n out burger.....LOL

I got the repaired eddy heads...I brought a set of Indy X heads for Brian to rework like his add says...new 2.02.,,beehive springs...bla..bla
and I bought a set of EQ heads with LA bolt pattern....Had to make the trip worth while...LOL...
I almost brought another set of eddy heads for him to rework for me...but I need to get some of these project done..

And I will probably owe the IRS money on April 15 at midnight....

Last edited:
Back to work....got the oil pump and pan on the motor today....
cleaned all the studs and got them installed..

put the eddy heads on and got the washers/nuts on the studs......buzzed the nuts down ...but did not torque them today....

Should have it all back together this week...and back in the car next weekend....

20180203_093308_resized.jpg

20180203_093300_resized.jpg

20180203_133022_resized.jpg

20180203_133030_resized.jpg

20180203_141832_resized.jpg

Got most of it assembled today....heads torqued...lifter back in their hole...pushrods...and rockers on...
Intake lines up pretty good with .060 gasket.....couple of things left to do... prime oil pump...and I need a harmonic balancer...used the old one on another engine...Got one on the way......

So need to get that 75 Duster out of the garage...and then roll 71 Dart out of trailer into garage..and put it all back together next weekend and get it fired....

20180204_123821_resized.jpg

20180204_130019_resized.jpg

20180204_123835_resized.jpg

Put oil in it.....hooked up a gauge to it...cranking the pump with a speed wrench I got 70 psi...could see oil coming out of the direct lube lifters....

waiting on balancer...tracking number shows it will be here Friday

Got balancer on ...got moroso pulley on....tomorrow...run the oil pump again....put intake manifold on...adjust valves....and mate engine and 904.....

Sunday roll car out of trailer into garage...and install motor/trans....need to get old 5204 headers out of the way...

Ok...it is all bolted together......I dont remember where the motor mounts are...lol

20180210_121816_resized.jpg

20180210_121830_resized.jpg

What was neat ...while turning the oil pump i could see the oil coming out of the bottom of the EDM lifters....

That is a ram for a pneumatic hoist.....the head was bolted on to that but we could not find anything else that went to it...so the cylinder is in the ground....have not tripped over it yet.

there is also a steel H beam in the ceiling for an block and tackle but I have not checked it out to see how it is support. I believe they worked on 18 wheel Tractors in there at one time.

Well....it is in the car......Should have it running by the end of the week..

20180211_110153_resized.jpg

1 7/8 TTi headers......passenger side piece of cake....driver side pain in ***...until we read the instructions....then only 1/2 pain in ***....tube no. 7....

20180214_183754_resized.jpg

20180214_183818_resized.jpg

hughes 6468

have done nothing fro past several day.....Sinus infection...sick as a dog...got some drugs now and recovering closely....Have not eaten anything in 3 days

Not Good.... Hope you Feel better soon... Chicken Soup and Crackers, and lots of water....

-
Back