71 Dart / 5.9 Magnum / Procharger

-
Just a quick update on progress. Installed the water injection kit and my tank is leaking. They are shipping a new one that will be here this week.

Made an appointment at the chasis dyno for this Saturday. They are going to help me get the base tune down before I head to the track

Looking good! What is the upper power potential on one of those pro chargers?
Are you still running the same converter as the n/a setup?

Looking good! What is the upper power potential on one of those pro chargers?
Are you still running the same converter as the n/a setup?
I'm running the P-1SC Procharger. On 10 lbs of boost I hope to make 630 crank HP. One of these days I'll put in forged rotating assembly the. Turn up the boost with a smaller pulley.

Still running the same 904 transmission and torque converter.

Update: Working the bugs out but actually got to make a full throttle hit last night. WOW! Big difference, hit 10 lbs of boost and the rev limiter in 1st with the tires up in smoke, peddled and hit 2nd. So much fun!

Anyway, my AFR's look great at idle and WOT but I have a VERY rich condition at light throttle cruise... like 9.5:1. Can't figure out why. Fuel pressure is good, float bowl levels are good, and didn't have this issue first few times I drove the car. Not sure what changed? I jetted down the secondary's but obviously that wouldn't affect light throttle cruise. Can't figure it out. Not sure if it has anything to boost or just a regular carb issue. Might need to post this in the fuel delivery section also. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Accelerator pump cam maybe? I remember I had to swap out a lot of stuff on my home build E85 blow thru and it was still super rich under WOT. Cruise it had good AFRs.

Talked to the guy that built this carb. He asked if the vacuum port to the main body of the carb was getting a manifold vacuum signal.... It was not. He said then your power valve in the primaries is probably always open causing your rich light throttle issue. Makes sense to me. I'll get manifold vacuum to that port tonight and report back with results

Talked to the guy that built this carb. He asked if the vacuum port to the main body of the carb was getting a manifold vacuum signal.... It was not. He said then your power valve in the primaries is probably always open causing your rich light throttle issue. Makes sense to me. I'll get manifold vacuum to that port tonight and report back with results
Nice. And welcome to the world of boost! No turning back now.

Nice upgrade! I've got to ask, how long do you expect the bottom end to hold together @10psi?

Update: Carb man was right! All the power valve needed was a vacuum signal from the manifold. AFRs are right on the money now!

Saturday is Dyno tune and Tuesday night will be going to the track to see how bad traction issues are.

Nice upgrade! I've got to ask, how long do you expect the bottom end to hold together @10psi?
Thanks. We shall see. If it holds through drag week i'll be happy. I think the water injection and keeping conservative on the timing should do the trick. So far I see zero signs of detonation on the plugs. But the overall plan is to scatter this thing eventually and then go to a forged bottom end.

Hitting the track this Tuesday, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Just 1/8th mile but I'm excited to get some seat time again.

Is there any way run this with factory style efi? Will the sc tuner cope?

Hmmm the base plate has a port underneath for power valve to get vacuum is this something set up different on your carb.

Update: First pass, launches real hard everything goes well until I shift to 3rd, hits the rev limiter. Third gear is toasted. Don't think my 904 can handle this new power. Got to the pits to pull dipstick, burnt trans fluid.

That answers my question.... wasn't sure if this transmission would hold the new power. Now I know. Luckily I have a spare 904, drove the spare down to PTC in Alabama this afternoon. He should have it built by Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully be back to the track soon.

Since I'll have the trans out, going to go with a trans shield instead of a blanket. The blanket had me worried about drag week anyway. Long drives between tracks.

ouch....good and bad news. hope the damage is not too bad.....let us know what happened.

What modification will they do to the new trans?

Michael

Update: First pass, launches real hard everything goes well until I shift to 3rd, hits the rev limiter. Third gear is toasted. Don't think my 904 can handle this new power. Got to the pits to pull dipstick, burnt trans fluid.

That answers my question.... wasn't sure if this transmission would hold the new power. Now I know. Luckily I have a spare 904, drove the spare down to PTC in Alabama this afternoon. He should have it built by Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully be back to the track soon.

Since I'll have the trans out, going to go with a trans shield instead of a blanket. The blanket had me worried about drag week anyway. Long drives between tracks.
Did you get a good '60 or 1/8 mile time before the tranny started slipping?

ouch....good and bad news. hope the damage is not too bad.....let us know what happened.

What modification will they do to the new trans?

Michael

See below for 904 Mods. I had some mods to the old 904 but was running an automatic valve body. Kenny at PTC thinks that's what killed the trans. He thinks it will hold with the below mods and the manual valve body.

Forward Manual Valve Body W/ special spring to boost line pressure
Stock Drum Fitted w/5 Alto red clutches and kolene steels,seals,gaskets,bushings
All new springs,rollers in factory sprag
Modified rev.piston,oiling system,front pump
No gov.,deep pan,5.0 lever
New high gear kevlar reinforced flex band,New Double Wrap rear band
New CRT spring pack,Reinforced band strut
4-pinnion steel planets
Stronger Input and output shafts

-
Back