71 Dart Steering Box Leaking

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
So my power steering box has been leaking for a while and I've tried using Lucas Power Steering stop leak but it only slowed the leak. I'm assuming my seals in it are done. I've never taking the steering box off or worked on one. Is this something that I should just bite the bullet and replace the steering box or would there be some easy o rings or seals I could try to replace before doing that? It has power steering and a 318 with Hooker headers if that helps.

You don’t say exactly where it’s leaking from or if it still steers well so there’s a lot of assumptions that can be made. If it’s leaking from the sector and or pitman shaft those seals aren’t all that hard to replace. If it’s leaking from the power steering hose connections those O rings are pretty easy to change out. If it’s leaking from the power steering pump it’s also not very hard to rebuild and reseal.
If it’s still steers good and you’re happy with the way it performs I’d definitely look at repairing the leaks.

Also if it is leaking from the pitman shaft seal, don’t remove the box to remove the seal. Remove the pitman arm, remove the snap ring above it. Put a pan under the shaft, start the car up and turn the steering wheel all the way to the end and hold it. The seals will blow out. If they don’t, give it a little throttle. They will come out.

Thanks guys! The leak is definitely on the top side somewhere, not from the pitman arm area. Car steers great, just want to get rid of the leak. I will probably try o rings for the hoses first since that will probably be the easiest. Anybody know where to get the o rings from?

Check the seal where the shaft comes out of the box at the coupler. You need to clean the steering box off real good, then start the car up and look for leaks.

-
Back