71 Demon Hood Stripe Dimensions?

-

dusterdemon

Reaction score
Could someone please give me the following hood stripe dimensions for a 71 Demon?

#1 edge of hood to the outside of the thin stripe.

#2 width of thin stripe.

#3 distance between thin stripe and solid black area.

#4 distance from rear of hood to front edge of solid black area.

#5 width of solid black area.

Thanks Warren

mopar_nats_340.jpg

my car doesn't have the thin stripe
91450084275700_tmp_org.jpg

this one does not have stripes either

Dodge-Demon_1971_30.jpg

wish I knew for sure...maybe someone else can help.

were the thin stripes an option?

71Dem340e.jpg

Here's FABO member plumcrazy340 stripes on his car. The thin stripe was/is original to his car.

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

1971 Dealership Data Book

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971DealershipDataBook-06.shtml

(One below has a hood pic)

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1971/71_Dart_Demon0015.jpg

As often happens over the years…… Things get painted wrong.

The stripes on the green car in post #4 are totally wrong.

The red car in post #5 has the area behind the grill and lower part of the core support body color. Not saying it looks bad, but when those areas are blacked out it cleans up the front and enhances the lines of the lower valance and un clutters the grill area.

Well to the best of my knowledge the orange one in the OP pic is Most correct, notice how the front outside edge angles back to match the leading edge of the hood. That being said i have met a few demon owners who have said their car did not come from the factory with the thin black trim line. I also have found the owner of my demon from 73 to 79 they sent pics taken in 75 of the car and on those pics no thin line. i've never been able to find anything concrete on why some demons left without the thin line maybe it was as simple as it being a pain in the A** to do at the factory. so in an attempt keep the line moving faster maybe they deleted it. My Demon is a later build of 4/02/71 maybe the other poster can chime in on a SPD on his demon hood without the thin stripe.

my car was built 11/70 if that helps this topic any

After looking at an original 71 Demon brochure and the Dodge Dart Plymouth Duster book that I have these are the type stripes they show. Here are a couple of more pictures from my file. I don't know which way is correct (with or without thin stripe), but I like it with it. If I can't get the measurements I think I can pretty much go by the hood pin location and guess on the width of the small stripe and the spacing. But it would be nice to have the measure ments. Thanks Warren

mopar nats 072.jpg

mopar nats 136.jpg

dusterdemon I posted a link to a pic that has the measurements on it. I think the site was down for a little while but it looks like it working now. If you can't get it to work send me a PM and I'll get the pic to you.
http://i.imgur.com/PhK20.jpg

thats a good link on the hood pic layout was that from a factory service manual? anyway most of the original demons that had painted hoods looked like the orange one in the original post followed buy the red car. The rest are all off somewhat compared to originals i have seen.

It was made by someone who took measurements off an original car they had. I saved that pic a long time ago for a friend to use and I think I got it off moparstyle or the bigblockdart site.

The dimensions in dusterman70's link say it is an 1/8" stripe. But in this picture which was scaned from a 1971 Dodge brochure doesn't it look like the thin stripe is wider than an 1/8"? It looks closer to 1/2" to me. Thanks Warren

demon ad.jpg

From what I've read here, they came both ways.....with and without the narrow hood stripes.

I sent the pics from 75 to EL5 :-D

The dimensions in dusterman70's link say it is an 1/8" stripe. But in this picture which was scaned from a 1971 Dodge brochure doesn't it look like the thin stripe is wider than an 1/8"? It looks closer to 1/2" to me. Thanks Warren
I have that pic as part of the advertisements for the 71 demon 340 that went out in magazines in 70 Warren, i think that is whats known as a "pilot" car if you look close at the pic the side stripe doesn't come to a point at the fender ext, also it looks like the stripe was Photo shoped on, also not seen in the pic, is the demon sticker which was doctored on for the mag spread. i too think the line should be closer to 1/8".

Here are the dimensions of the stripes that I received from PlumCrazy340 late last summer. I had a local vinyl shop cut these dimensions out in matte black and installed. They look close to original and if I want to remove at a later date and can peel off. I wish I had a picture for you but the only one is in my avatar. I did not continue the stripes or paint into the cowl area. A Big Thank You to PlumCrazy for getting this measurements for me! The graphic shop had no problems cutting them out!

[/quote] from PlumCarazy: ok, standing in front of the car. driver's side hood edge to pinstripe- 1 3/8" body color, then 1/4" pinstripe, then 3/8" body color, then 24 3/8" blackout, then 3/8" body color, then 1/4" pinstripe, then there is 2 3/4" body color down the center of the hood between the stripes. Very important, if you have hoodpins, the outer edge of the main blackout will line up with the outer edge of the hoodpin bezels. Also, the body color in the center between stripes is only on the hood, do not continue it up the cowl. Only the outer edges continue up the cowl to the windshield. if you have hood front edge moldings, the stripe's front outer edges{front hood edge is not straight across}are 1 1/2" away. if you don't have the molding's it would be 2 1/4" away. If you have any questions with understanding these measurements, let me know. I know it sounds confusing.

Hope this may help! Good Luck!

Here are the dimensions of the stripes that I received from PlumCrazy340 late last summer. I had a local vinyl shop cut these dimensions out in matte black and installed. They look close to original and if I want to remove at a later date and can peel off. I wish I had a picture for you but the only one is in my avatar. I did not continue the stripes or paint into the cowl area. A Big Thank You to PlumCrazy for getting this measurements for me! The graphic shop had no problems cutting them out!
from PlumCarazy: ok, standing in front of the car. driver's side hood edge to pinstripe- 1 3/8" body color, then 1/4" pinstripe, then 3/8" body color, then 24 3/8" blackout, then 3/8" body color, then 1/4" pinstripe, then there is 2 3/4" body color down the center of the hood between the stripes. Very important, if you have hoodpins, the outer edge of the main blackout will line up with the outer edge of the hoodpin bezels. Also, the body color in the center between stripes is only on the hood, do not continue it up the cowl. Only the outer edges continue up the cowl to the windshield. if you have hood front edge moldings, the stripe's front outer edges{front hood edge is not straight across}are 1 1/2" away. if you don't have the molding's it would be 2 1/4" away. If you have any questions with understanding these measurements, let me know. I know it sounds confusing.

Hope this may help! Good Luck![/QUOTE]

I know when plumcrazy340 was restoring his car,he took pics of where the stripes went originally. I too want to add the stripes to my car also.

I am getting the impression that they had several different people that painted the stripes on, and they each did there own thing. Also maybe where they were built Hamtramck, California, etc made the differance.

May have to try that with my local sign shop, i'm a few years away from restoring the demon, and don't want the mess of painting the hood.

I know this is an old thread but it seems late built cars or by assembly plant. Here is my car when dad brought it home Oct 1971 and a later one. Original paint. Ordered by GSD June 1971. No pinstripe. Also the leading edge measurement varies. Some are further back and shaped differently.

20200331_122823.jpg

20200422_133114.jpg

Will post page from the Chrysler assembly manual tomorrow. Whole manual available on eBay Motors by Faxon Auto Literature.

here it is. If you need a better copy, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the full scan. It's pretty hard to read the detailed print. This shows a 1/4 inch stripe and a 1/4 inch gap.

71 Demon hood treatment.jpg

-
Back