71 Duster 360 turbo build

-
I’ll just be running off the wastegate spring for now, but will switch to a ball/spring boost controller when I want to turn it up. They bring boost in much harder so I’ll have to see how the tires handle it.

It did not have a hole so I tapped the back side of the compressor housing for a 1/8npt nipple. When I switch to the ball spring valve I’ll use manifold pressure.
Your running megasquirt right? Why not use their electronic boost controller, can control the boost a lot better then a ball spring valve. I have a extra one if you want it. Pm me

Thank you but I’m running microsquirt, and I believe* all the outputs I would need for boost control are already in use. I really love the precision of a ball spring valve, but I do see the potential need to bring in boost a bit slower down the road so I’ll have to deal with that when the time comes.

Oil cooler and remote remote filter completed today. I had a couple bad fittings that needed replaced, but I was able to prime the oil up to 20psi with no leaks. I’ll check the fuel system for leaks tomorrow, but besides that it’s ready to start.

Before painting I cut a 5” hole for a future air filter. I accidentally ordered the perfect size filter for this spot in the fender, but I’ll need to make a fiberglass intake to bring it all together.

BEBAB70E-F177-4DE8-8346-3BEE3583C066.jpeg

3D7FCA9F-8B0B-453D-B724-FD2BE3B3F2B9.jpeg

Thank you but I’m running microsquirt, and I believe* all the outputs I would need for boost control are already in use. I really love the precision of a ball spring valve, but I do see the potential need to bring in boost a bit slower down the road so I’ll have to deal with that when the time comes.

You should only need one PWM- output if you run a single mac valve controller, but understandable if you've got none left. I'm a big proponent of electronic controllers, they have so many benefits.

I verified that I am indeed out of pwm outputs. I should have gone with a more expandable mega squirt, but…I didn’t

Picked up some scat pack resonators/tips yesterday. Just hanging there like they were built for it.

07858B79-D4C9-46AA-B69F-B917DECAADA8.jpeg

I’ve been meaning to update this thread. The duster runs! I made some mistakes with the engine harness deutch connectors when re-pinning following paint. So first start every* passenger coil was firing out of order. It was worrisome, but we made it through and the car is running great. Needs plenty of tuning, but I’ve taken a 20 mile cruise without incident keeping temps right at 180. Anybody on the fence about switching to efi; take the leap.

I’ll have a video soon. This turbo just plain screams. I love it.

Nice thing with megasquirt is you can go and test each output and injector and coil if running multiple to verify they are in order too.

I’m mostly batch, but yes exactly. I identified the problem by firing sets of coils while verbally stating “wtf did I do.” Which was simultaneously great knowing it wasn’t a mechanical issue!

I’m one month away from a move so I can’t hurt the car. After that I might have it tuned instead of doing it myself. I believe that would be wise.

I’m mostly batch, but yes exactly. I identified the problem by firing sets of coils while verbally stating “wtf did I do.” Which was simultaneously great knowing it wasn’t a mechanical issue!
I feel you on that one. Why run batch instead of sequencial?

Microsquirt has only 2 fuel outputs and 4 ignition. Sequential is supposedly only beneficial below around 2k rpm. Above that the benefits are negligible…says the internet people.

Interesting, figured they have the same for both microsquirt and megasquirt platforms to run either or.

Here’s a little bit of driving. Fuel tuned up to 8psi so far. Only 10° of timing at positive pressures so it’s not quick, but running smooth. I’d like to have it dyno tuned, but struggling to find a mega squirt tuner in the Phoenix area.

Sounds great. I feel you on finding a tuner, took me a bit to find the one up here, can't wait to get back to it when we can spend the money. Those scat pack resonators give it a nice tone.

What areas are you having trouble with the tune? 10 degrees is extremely conservative

I wanted to find a tuner because I’m moving soon, and the possibility of a tuning mistake leaving it un-driveable would be a mess. I have enough on my plate right now that a couple hundred to have the car essentially “done” would simply make life easier. The little bit of tuning I’ve done has gone okay so far, and I’ll increase timing after my fuel is in order. Throttle tip in has been stupid rich, but I have not messed with those tables yet.

In that video my exhaust was still 4” into a hooker max flow then side exit. Right now I am welding together the rear exit dual 2.5 setup with scat pack resonators. Very little concern for flow as I have also installed a 4” cutout; I just want it quieter for cruising.

30D7158E-C1C4-4E0D-BDDD-FC2DBC5B7AE1.jpeg

6A56E6A2-F7F5-46D2-9893-083CD1703A5C.jpeg

Well I’m about finished building the full exhaust. I need to weld up hangers, but the thing sure is quiet with the cutout closed! Should be great.

The crankshaft sensor seems to have died on me so I purchased another plus a spare. I really hope that was my issue, but still concerned it died with less than 100 miles on it. I had some random misfires on a ride that quickly evolved into a no start condition. One of the red Hall effect sensors of DiyAutotune.

Well I’m about finished building the full exhaust. I need to weld up hangers, but the thing sure is quiet with the cutout closed! Should be great.

The crankshaft sensor seems to have died on me so I purchased another plus a spare. I really hope that was my issue, but still concerned it died with less than 100 miles on it. I had some random misfires on a ride that quickly evolved into a no start condition. One of the red Hall effect sensors of DiyAutotune.
I'd go with the Holley one, I swapped mine out, its the older style of diy plus the holley can be ran on 0-24volts so you don't need to reduce the voltage going to it. I had the same problem with my old sensor, had to move it to close for comfort to the wheel for it to work best, now the holley is out 1mm and strong signal. Your video made me think about going to some hooker max flow mufflers to quite mine down just a tad so I don't have to yell when I'm crusing my car.

I'd go with the Holley one, I swapped mine out, its the older style of diy plus the holley can be ran on 0-24volts so you don't need to reduce the voltage going to it. I had the same problem with my old sensor, had to move it to close for comfort to the wheel for it to work best, now the holley is out 1mm and strong signal. Your video made me think about going to some hooker max flow mufflers to quite mine down just a tad so I don't have to yell when I'm crusing my car.
If it happens twice more (since I have an extra) I’ll take your advice and switch to the Holley. The hookers sound pretty great and flow even better

Replaced the crank sensor and it’s running great with zero sync loss. New exhaust/cutout is the perfect blend of quiet and performance.

Starts great, and my tip in tuning has smoothed everything out. Did my fist full throttle pull yesterday to 5500rpm at 8-10psi. It ran fantastic, the converter feels right for the job, and the 3.23’s were a great upgrade from the 3.91’s. AFR still 3/4 points to rich, but still tuning. Also installed a flex fuel sensor with the plans of running mostly in the e30 range with the ability to fill up with 91 when needed.

-
Back