71 duster headlight issue

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
All lights on my car work but my headlights keep coming on and off then stay off. The car has brant new battery , alt , new battery ground to block cable and battery to body cable . The head light ground land on front radiator frame . I tried removing and class I did and putting back and also landing direct to battery . Nothing is working .

my high beam red light in my dash goes out too . But again all lights in the car function prefect . I have original sealed beams i it , also sealed h4 halogen style and slaps tried led . All do the same thing. Any time I check plugs with a meter I have voltage. 11 ish volts at idle and-14 at higher rpm . Any ideas ?

The light switch has TWO power sources, one for tail/ park/ dash, and the other is UNFUSED from the ammeter circuit and supplys ONLY the headlamps

There is a CIRCUIT BREAKER built into /onto the light switch

If the breaker gets weak, or if the connector is loose and the terminals get hot, it will cycle on/ off. This can also happen with "too large" lamps.

Investigate going to a pair of relays--one for high, one for low. Crackedback, member here, sells a nice setup for this

The light switch has TWO power sources, one for tail/ park/ dash, and the other is UNFUSED from the ammeter circuit and supplys ONLY the headlamps

There is a CIRCUIT BREAKER built into /onto the light switch

If the breaker gets weak, or if the connector is loose and the terminals get hot, it will cycle on/ off. This can also happen with "too large" lamps.

Investigate going to a pair of relays--one for high, one for low. Crackedback, member here, sells a nice setup for this[/QUOTE

where is breaker ??94 do you mean the switch has an over load within in it that heats up and opens circuit ? That could make sense . Thought not sure why they are over amping they are just a stock sealed beam halogen from classic industries . And led set would pul way less amps than a stock halogen

Yes there is a circuit breaker inside the light switch. I had one fail in our 1st 67 fish, for no apparent reason other than its age. Lights would go off and back on. New switch cured it.

He didn't say what year or car he has. Dimmer switch?
Sorry, missed '71 Duster.
OREILLY had one on the shelf for my '69 floor dimmer. Don't know if it cured my headlamp on and off yet, not out at nite much. Everything else is new.

Last edited:
where is breaker ??94 do you mean the switch has an over load within in it that heats up and opens circuit ? That could make sense . Thought not sure why they are over amping they are just a stock sealed beam halogen from classic industries . And led set would pul way less amps than a stock halogen

Yes, breaker in switch and it automatically recycles when it cools down. It may NOT be "over amp" and it may be. Halogens may draw more current. It may be that the switch is old and the breaker is failing, or as I mentioned, the connector/ terminals may be in bad shape and making heat, causing it to over heat

He didn't say what year or car he has. Dimmer switch?
Sorry, missed '71 Duster.
Yup, what does the floor dimmer switch and connector look like? They're subject to all kinds or weather, corrosion, and foot abuse.

X3 for the dimmer switch if you are just fixing by guesses.

X3 for the dimmer switch if you are just fixing by guesses.
Educated guessing also it’s all 50 years old . Even if it works it’s need replacing for being trustworthy. Why I’ve replaced alt , starter , battery and all cables , wiper motor , heater motor ignition resistor & silver box thing I don’t know what it is , and points cap and wires and plugs and bulbs around the entire car.

-
Back