71 Duster hood hinges w/lightweight springs

-

otrAlive

otrAlive
Reaction score
On my 1971 Duster, I've installed lightweight hood springs to use with the AAR fiberglass hood. Problem is, without the hood mounted to the hinges I cannot pull the hinges down. It's like they are locked in place. No give to the spring, at all. I've double and triple checked for correct installation of the springs and they appear to be correctly installed. Is it possible the hood has to be mounted to give leverage to engage the springs? Or, should I be able to simulate closing the hood by pulling them down without the hood? Anyone had a similar problem?

Yes, you need the weight and the leverage to close the hinges.

As an example, a Dart Lite or Feather Duster hood uses springs that are in between the tension of standard OEM and aftermarket lightweight versions like you have. But trying to close the lighter Lite or Feather hood with regular springs is more difficult and sometimes tries to bend the hood because the aluminum underside bracing is lighter by 10-15 lbs and not as stiff. (That little weight does make a difference.) But it's still heavier than most glass hoods. I heard that a good mid-range substitute spring is from FWD Daytona, Sundance, etc. and may work for a Lite or Feather hood, for anyone that may need some. But I haven't tried it yet.

Yes, you need the weight and the leverage to close the hinges.

As an example, a Dart Lite or Feather Duster hood uses springs that are in between the tension of standard OEM and aftermarket lightweight versions like you have. But trying to close the lighter Lite or Feather hood with regular springs is more difficult and sometimes tries to bend the hood because the aluminum underside bracing is lighter by 10-15 lbs and not as stiff. (That little weight does make a difference.) But it's still heavier than most glass hoods. I heard that a good mid-range substitute spring is from FWD Daytona, Sundance, etc. and may work for a Lite or Feather hood, for anyone that may need some. But I haven't tried it yet.
Locomotion, appreciate your response...it just seems odd to me that I cannot engage the springs or get them to collapse at all. I guess the only way I'll really know is to mount the hood and give it try. After I do this I'll respond further and let you know exactly what happens. tks again, happy motoring

Are you saying that you were able to pull the regular Springs down, but you are not able to pull the lightweight Springs down? In that case, it sounds like something installed wrong. If you never tried the regular Springs, then you may not know the difference. Even the light weights will be fairly hard to pull down, but you should be able to.

Are you saying that you were able to pull the regular Springs down, but you are not able to pull the lightweight Springs down? In that case, it sounds like something installed wrong. If you never tried the regular Springs, then you may not know the difference. Even the light weights will be fairly hard to pull down, but you should be able to.
RogerRamRod, No, never used the regular or original springs. They were on the hinges but not loaded. So, I used a hood prop to hold up the fiberglass hood. Don't like the hood prop. Have since found out that lightweight springs were available so I had original springs removed and lightweight springs installed. Every indication is they are installed correctly on the hinges. When lightweight springs are loaded I cannot pull the hinge down, at all. The pulling down on the hinge simulates closing the hood but, I can't budge them when pulling down on them. I'm going to install the fiberglass hood then try and see if the hinges will work, closing the hood. tks for your response

RogerRamRod, No, never used the regular or original springs. They were on the hinges but not loaded. So, I used a hood prop to hold up the fiberglass hood. Don't like the hood prop. Have since found out that lightweight springs were available so I had original springs removed and lightweight springs installed. Every indication is they are installed correctly on the hinges. When lightweight springs are loaded I cannot pull the hinge down, at all. The pulling down on the hinge simulates closing the hood but, I can't budge them when pulling down on them. I'm going to install the fiberglass hood then try and see if the hinges will work, closing the hood. tks for your response
I have a six pack hood on my duster and i bought a set of light weight springs.I put them in a vice after i put the springs on and could pull each one down with two fingers you must have something wrong

On my 1971 Duster, I've installed lightweight hood springs to use with the AAR fiberglass hood. Problem is, without the hood mounted to the hinges I cannot pull the hinges down. It's like they are locked in place. No give to the spring, at all. I've double and triple checked for correct installation of the springs and they appear to be correctly installed. Is it possible the hood has to be mounted to give leverage to engage the springs? Or, should I be able to simulate closing the hood by pulling them down without the hood? Anyone had a similar problem?
Where did you find lightweight springs? I have been looking for a while

Where did you find lightweight springs? I have been looking for a while

Yes, you need the leverage. There is a member called Atomic Dog who made them for glass hoods. The hood springs from FWD Daytonas, Shadows, etc. are a little lighter than Dart Lite/Feather Duster hood springs which go with the aluminum braced hoods on those cars. But they are stronger than the custom glass hood springs. Those hoods are 12-15 lbs lighter than the regular all-steel hoods. Not sure if they would be too stiff for glass hoods, but they don't keep the Lite/Feather hoods up reliably. I used a prop stick.

-
Back