71 V24 Duster

-

Jim Ward

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up this thread may end up being a couple years old. I have owned this car for 1.5 years and was waiting to start on it until I finished my 72. My 72 is finishedish and I want to be able to race both cars next season. I plan to do a complete rotisserie rebuild on the 71 after racing it for two seasons (was a race car previously). I painted and put a hood on it and have patched up the inner fenders where they were cut for fender well headers back in the day. I will rebuild the front end, tie the frame and then put the 422/727 in to race it for the next two seasons before taking it all back apart for the actual rebuild. The car will get a new full floor pan (not rusty but holes cut in it in several locations for different shifters throughout the years. Trunk pan and both quarters. This is a factory V24 FJ6 with a black vinyl top and white stripe. Very cool car that deserves a total resto. Some photos to show the progress I’ve made so far. Also I will completely replace the inner fenders when I do the resto. I have all the AMD sheet metal for when the time comes stored in my shop.

7D4FCC6F-99FA-46A4-B473-1870755132C9.jpeg

537FF352-A7B2-4EBD-AFE2-C0D60F542EC8.jpeg

7656FDA8-809D-408A-A6E2-DA75E51D5E85.jpeg

85E0A6FA-0677-419A-A9C1-E183F0F35CF8.jpeg

5B1588AB-6738-4F70-8B09-A56B3F735B01.jpeg

4E8EEF80-0353-4359-B258-8038AA858078.jpeg

55470258-F0F0-4936-8193-7597523AFEF3.jpeg

97F04630-0043-4244-9495-CEBBFF979308.jpeg

44ED391F-F3C7-4788-B325-B369C134D3E2.jpeg

3C77B4EB-9A66-4B5A-A118-91229C560FC4.jpeg

Beautiful car Jim, i will be following along...Rich

Nice! keepin' an eye out on this one.

Yes she’s the youngest of 6 and the only one that ever wants to help me. She turned 4 in September and I’m sure she will weld better than me before she is done with kindergarten. Some of the best parts are having her in the shop with me everyday.

What's V24? I am unfamiliar with all them codes. Very cool car, though.

Hey Rusty,
V24 is the blacked out hood, tops of fenders and doors with the 340 Wedge callout. This option was only available in 1971 and only 1200 produced. There are many cloned cars but very few left in the registry. I believe this fender tag to be one of one of the 1200. Tri-Color car FJ6 sassy grass with a black vinyl top and a white side and tail panel stripe. Also has the floor mounted microphone/dictaphone cassette player which was also only available in 71. Really cool piece of A body history on that fender tag.

Hey Rusty,
V24 is the blacked out hood, tops of fenders and doors with the 340 Wedge callout. This option was only available in 1971 and only 1200 produced. There are many cloned cars but very few left in the registry. I believe this fender tag to be one of one of the 1200. Tri-Color car FJ6 sassy grass with a black vinyl top and a white side and tail panel stripe. Also has the floor mounted microphone/dictaphone cassette player which was also only available in 71. Really cool piece of A body history on that fender tag.
That's an awesome option and in my favorite color. I love Sassy Grass.

Very cool combo ! Factory V24 AND Dictaphone cassette !

Speaking of which ….your wiener was showing in one of the pics .

Yes that wiener is hard to hide sometimes. The fender tag on this car is very unique and cool, which is why it will get the restoration it deserves.

Wow! You don't see many of those microphone/dictaphone cassette player.
Only available in an a body in 71 and was an expensive option. The dictaphone/cassette was an easy eBay find but the a body radio with the pig tail to plug into the dictaphone was much harder but I did find one from a member on Long Island last thanksgiving and was happy to pay for it. I figured that radio would never be found but I have all of it and it will be functional which I think is really cool.

Very nice and I love the V24 option package cars. I remember when they came out, didn't see many even back then! 65'

Really cool car with an uncommon but often copied option. Following along. How did you find this car? Local Craigslist/ fb find?

Really cool car with an uncommon but often copied option. Following along. How did you find this car? Local Craigslist/ fb find?
The car found me. I had the 340 that was in very close VIN sequence to the car. A local collector friend of mine had the car and he said he would never get around to restoring the car so we made a deal. We believe this car to be one of one ever built with the rare color choice along with it being a tri-color car with the floor mounted cassette. There were 1200 V24 cars built in 71.

The car found me. I had the 340 that was in very close VIN sequence to the car. A local collector friend of mine had the car and he said he would never get around to restoring the car so we made a deal. We believe this car to be one of one ever built with the rare color choice along with it being a tri-color car with the floor mounted cassette. There were 1200 V24 cars built in 71.
Yeah it’s an amazing color combo. Super cool that the rear tail panel stripe is white! And I agree connections/relationships make the difference finding a super uncommon optioned car. Plus I agree that the recording option is very uncommon, especially on an A body. Not common on a B body or E and especially not on an A body.

Only available on an a body in 71 and it is extremely rare. We sure think the car is cool.

Only available on an a body in 71 and it is extremely rare. We sure think the car is cool.
I would guess it’s probably less than 10 cars got the recorder. Heck the v24 is rare enough and then you add the recorder to it. Super rare

Killer 71 Duster 340! Love the color combo of FJ6 with a black vinyl top with white stripes and the V24 Hood Blackout. Awesome car will be following along this journey!

Hey Rusty,
I picked up a couple of doors out of New York for my Demon with that same original color scheme and dual rally mirrors.

20190720_195829.jpg

-
Back