714 head valve stem height issues

-

Goldswinger

Reaction score
I purchased a set of 714 casting heads from a 1990 p/u to put on my 74 318 in my 72 dart. I'm currently installing new springs to match the cam I purchased that all came in a kit from COMP. I've got two of the cylinders on one of the heads done with the new springs when I noticed the height of the stems are different from intake and exhaust the same amount on both sets. They were the same way with the stock springs before disassembly. No valve job but a hand grind to re-seat the valves. My question is can I use the stock valve train with my new cam .454/.454 with no issues? If it worked with the '90 block it should work with the '74 right? Thanks for the help.

you need to measure retainer to seal dimension on each valve. OEM tolerance are sloppy, plus stock lift on those heads and cam was around .395 ish

Are the exhaust side retainers thicker than the intake side ones?

If the exhaust is taller, it may mean the exhaust valves have "sunk" in the heads slightly from heat. Probably not a an issue with that size cam although you could shim the springs with an installed height micrometer.

I reread the post. Heads are from a pickup. Are the exhaust retainers rotators?

-
Back