72 Dart raised body lines

-

Duster2022!

Reaction score
I am wanting to flatten out my Dart raised body lines on the hood that are on the sides of the scoop, anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do so?

9C9F6F2E-650D-4B5A-BB51-5A0EBA137CB5.png

Get a fiberglass hood, lay a dozen flat layers of fiberglass under the character lines (as in on the bottom of the hood), with plenty of overlap. Grind the character lines off and finish the top surface.

How good are your fabrication skills?
I think you’d need a second hood for patch panels . As that hood is not actually flat but has a subtle arc to it.That being said I think you’d need to cut out the ridge sections and weld in patches from a donor hood.

I think I am going to keep the metal hood as is then get a fiberglass hood and do like you said to eliminate the character lines .

I will have dual scoops on the metal hood and the six pack hood without the character lines on the fiberglass hood. Then just have to swap hood when I want a different look

Sounds like a great plan. Taking them out of the steel hood would make for one huge oil can issue.

Anyone know if you have to change the stick hood hinges for the bolt on fiberglass hoods?

That can’t be correct, the front edge is not even close to being correct
Agreedm but you get the gist of what Im thinking? There has to be a hood that is flat and close to the shape/dimensions that you are after...and that hood might be easier to modify general shape vs contour of it. dunno, just a thought....might be a way to do it.

These hoods don’t look the same where they meet up at the grill so I don’t think it would work

D5D93BB6-1E92-4D79-9CFF-56E0285C944F.png

C3AF324B-2ADD-40BE-A9EA-FBB971A5CF61.png

It is common to remove the hood springs or use very low power ones with bolt on fiberglass hoods.
I think removing the springs makes more sense. Even the bolt on hoods will eventually flex and crack the paint trying to close the hood..

Here is the answer right here, it won’t work with 71-72 dart fenders. Yiu would have to use 69 fenders to make that hood work

8D447B5A-E560-429F-97FF-1D3EF4A0C900.png

It is common to remove the hood springs or use very low power ones with bolt on fiberglass hoods.
I think removing the springs makes more sense. Even the bolt on hoods will eventually flex and crack the paint trying to close the hood..
That stinks I was wanting to have a metal and a fiberglass hood with different scoops and change it up once in awhile

Because I want live the hood on the new Demon and I was trying to come up with a way to have the same look with the Hemi hood in this picture but I don’t know if it looks good with the lines on the hood, thought it would look cleaner with out the character lines

6406CF44-700B-48BA-A985-AE6B7E28FE20.png

54DEC599-9E61-4521-ADF5-D2887D8A6108.png

7 or 8 years ago I bought low tension springs made by a member here for a 70 Dart race car. Pulling on the original springs with even a street style (heavier) fiberglass hood will eventually crack the hood (especially if there is a scoop involved). The low tension springs worked like a dream. I'm old and cranky and find using a prop to be pain in the ***, but not as much as a lift off hood. Eventually sumpthin's gonna happen and a propped hood is going to come crashing down, probably on somebody's fingers...

The light hood hinge springs that you are looking for would be from an old Dodge Daytona, not sure of the Plymouth Arrow's are the same. The orange spring is the light one. I am sure that if you ever need a pair, placing a want ad will produce a pair. Replacing the spring isn't as hard as it looks. Finding a hood like you want? They pull molds from stock hoods. If you buy a fiberglass hood and are familiar with doing glass work, it can be done. Easier than making 2 molds to graft mounts for the chrome inserts on my '69 Dart, they don't make that hood in fiberglass. Think that your hood looks fine.
Good luck

20210404_200612.jpg

-
Back