72 dart rear tire size

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
What is biggest tire that fits ?
1972 dart stock quarter panel . Has old Mopar leaf spring in boarding kit ( belice those shackles moves them in 3/4” .

i have 15 x 8 4.5 back space small bolt pattern rallies .

I have 255/60/15 mt on now . Looks like I can go way bigger .

I’d like to put 275/60/15 MTs like my duster and challenger have .

not sure if that will fit . Anyone know ?
If not I’ll settle for 255/70/15 cooper cobras .

You said stock....245's fit comfortably. However, when I switched to 8 3/4 with BBP the driver side was too close for comfort so I backed down to 235's.
As far as your setup, your just going to need to measure based off your backspace. Its hard to say a definite for any particular car since they varied so much. I have about a 1/4" variance from left to right on mine.

You said stock....245's fit comfortably. However, when I switched to 8 3/4 with BBP the driver side was too close for comfort so I backed down to 235's.
As far as your setup, your just going to need to measure based off your backspace. Its hard to say a definite for any particular car since they varied so much. I have about a 1/4" variance from left to right on mine.
Should said better - stock body . 235-245 I put upfront lol way too small for back on a rod rod to me

235 even 245 should never hit in back on a dart Even stock body / leafs / wheels.

Well, if you have 255s on it now, it's easy to find out. A 275 is just under an inch wider in section, so add a 1/2" on either side, and see if you have the room. If it's too close to the spring, but has room to the fender, there is always the wheel spacer option (billet only, please).
The 255/70s might be harder to fit. They are tall enough that they might not clear the front edge of the wheelwell opening.
(I have 255/70s on my b-body..... but the whole rearend is moved back an inch.)
Edit: check for inner wheel tub clearance too, at the top, not just space to the springs.

Well, if you have 255s on it now, it's easy to find out. A 275 is just under an inch wider in section, so add a 1/2" on either side, and see if you have the room. If it's too close to the spring, but has room to the fender, there is always the wheel spacer option (billet only, please).
The 255/70s might be harder to fit. They are tall enough that they might not clear the front edge of the wheelwell opening.
(I have 255/70s on my b-body..... but the whole rearend is moved back an inch.)
255/70 very tall I love it lol. I wish they made a 275/70/15 honestly lol

Sorry for the crappy photo, but 255/70s on mine. (When I bought mine, they did have 275/70s. With the bs on my steelies, the 275s wouldn't fit.

20181218_115928.jpg

255-60/15's on 15x7 with a 4.5 backspace without trimming or lip rolling.

001.jpg

018 (2).JPG

My memory says they did, but I could easily be wrong. It sure seems they don't any more, if they ever did.
Heck, almost nobody wants 70 aspect ratio tires at all, anymore.....
I do lol I like a tall side profile more than width

It's tough to nail down "ONE" largest size that will fit, simply because of the differences in body measurements with how these cars were assembled. In other words, a 275 60 15 "MIGHT" fit on one, where on another it will not. So if you're looking for the absolute largest tire that will fit in the stock location, it's best to measure. Plus, on the 67 and up Darts, you have that built in fender skirt that adds to some of the fitment woes. It's best to measure each individual case, so you don't end up wasting money.

Then be prepared to move springs in, mini tub, and/or trim the wheel openings. Good luck!
My springs are already moved in . Wht I was asking if anyone knew if 275/60 / 15 should fit now or not cause it’s so close I can’t tell . Figured someone had done this already

My springs are already moved in . Wht I was asking if anyone knew if 275/60 / 15 should fit now or not cause it’s so close I can’t tell . Figured someone had done this already
Plenty have done it. Read post #14, It's not a one size fits all question.

-
Back