72 Demon A/C conrol panel removal advice?

-

JC.

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I have a '72 Demon 318 auto with A/C.
The heater and a/c are currently none operational.
If I touch any of the 5 buttons that control it's operation they will just dissapear into the dash. I gather that I need to either source a repalcement vacuum switch or repair what I have.

Could someone please advice me on the best way to gain access and remove this switch, please.

I've hopefully attached a picture of what I have at the end of this message...

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

IMG_1383_zpshkck4nca.jpg

Looks like a clean car! You can get a new switch on E-bay. Around 50 bucks if I remember right. I got one about 5 months ago. This is what I did. Pulled the glove box liner out and was able to reach in and remove the two nuts that hold the faceplate and the switch to the dash. With the faceplate off and the switch assembly loose you can move it around and see what your dealing with. The plastic control switch is held to a metal bracket with two 1/4 screws. there's also a couple electrical plugs and a gang vacuum plug. I might have pulled the defroster hoses off to gain more room. You'll feel them once your hands in there. You reuse the push buttons. I did this with the radio in also.

Thank you it is pretty presentable old thing I suppose!
Ah I see. So once these two nuts are removed the unit can be drawn forward and progressively disconnected as you start to see things.
Is there perhaps any benefit in unscrewing the gauge cluster to gain access to the far screw?

I must admit I'm a little bit paranoid about damaging anything on this car from the point of view of sourcing spares. I've never seen another here in the UK. Or, indeed, any other A body for that matter!

-
Back