72 Demon mini tubed

-

Demonic.1

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with tire sizing on a mini tubed otherwise stock Demon?

Have a 72 Demon with SS leaf's. Was wondering if a 295-50-15 on a 12" rim (5" BS) would fit.

Height should not be a problem. Mini tubed about 3" to frame rail. Stock leaf location.

Will this fit? Any Pics?

What is the point of mini tubbing and leaving the springs in the stock location? With the stock tubs the first thing you hit is the springs. Moving the tubs literally doesn't change anything.

So what you really want to know is "what is the largest rear tire that will fit on a stock 72" Demon.

The answer to that seems to be a unanimous 275/60/15, which IIRC is a 10.4" or so section width. BAckspacing will be critical. You can run 28" tall tires and with spacers you can run taller.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with tire sizing on a mini tubed otherwise stock Demon?

Have a 72 Demon with SS leaf's. Was wondering if a 295-50-15 on a 12" rim (5" BS) would fit.

Height should not be a problem. Mini tubed about 3" to frame rail. Stock leaf location.

Will this fit? Any Pics?

I should have said the leaf was pushed over with the mini tub.
I own a pair of 295-50-15 tires. Hope they fit

Someone have a pic of this tire on a 70-72 dart duster or demon??

Last edited:
295 50 15 on 15x10 3.75 back spacing will fit a 73 dart sport,no tubbing or leaf relocation.

I have ss springs on my 74 Duster, 295/50/15s. Wheels are Billet Specialties. Never checked the back space, but its wrong.. fits killer tho

Will this fit? Any Pics?

Stock A-body width rear axle? What bolt pattern and brakes?

295 50 15 on 15x10 3.75 back spacing will fit a 73 dart sport,no tubbing or leaf relocation.

Only if they’re hanging outside of the quarters and not rubbing because of a raised rear ride height. That combination will absolutely not fit inside the quarters with those specs.

I should have said the leaf was pushed over with the mini tub.
I own a pair of 295-50-15 tires. Hope they fit

Someone have a pic of this tire on a 70-72 dart duster or demon??

If the springs are moved inboard you'll have no issues with a 295. I currently run a 315 on a minitubbed 72 Duster with plenty of clearance. I used to run a 28x13.50, it was a tight fit, but didn't rub.

You can run at least a 13.1 section width on that car. I run a 325/50/15 under my 69 dart and that needs to sit fully in the well.

Stock A-body width rear axle? What bolt pattern and brakes?

Only if they’re hanging outside of the quarters and not rubbing because of a raised rear ride height. That combination will absolutely not fit inside the quarters with those specs.
Stock 8-3/4
stock brakes

Stock A body rear with mini tub takes a 7.5" backspace on a 10" wheel iirc

Stock 8-3/4
stock brakes

Ok, so by that I assume it's still the 5x4" pattern too?

I run 295/35/18's on my Duster on 18x10's. It has a 1/2" spring offset but doesn't have the full 3" relocation or mini-tub. I have a 68-70 B body 8 3/4 in it, but that's easy enough to do math for since we know how wide that and the A-body 8 3/4 are. I've done a bunch of other stuff to my car, but for the purposes of fitting 295's with stock brakes on a Demon most of that is irrelevant.

Anyway, you'd want 15x10's with at least 5.5" of backspace, or 0 offset. As others have pointed out you can run a much larger tire on a Demon with a full 3" relocation and mini-tub, up to at least 335. And more backspace would be necessary for that. But for 295's on a 15x10 with the SBP a 5.5" backspace should be fine, and anything up to about 7" would work. If you have converted to BBP then I'd be looking more at 6" to 7.5" of backspace.

Stock A body rear with mini tub takes a 7.5" backspace on a 10" wheel iirc
Tha is the wheel specifications I am putting on my 64 Barracuda.

And for a Dart or a Barracuda that would be necessary, especially with a BBP conversion. For a Demon/Duster/Dart Sport there's at least an additional 1" of room to the quarter compared to a Dart. And then there's the extra offset from the BBP axles. Basically you're just adding 3" of backspace for the relocation from the 4.5" or so of backspace needed on a 15x8" if you're using BBP axles. But for a 295 on a Demon you don't need to add that much. You can, although with a SBP 8 3/4 I'd probably stop at around 7".

-
Back