-

Garth B

Reaction score
4272B0CD-C2EA-4C25-964B-B43121D7547A_zpsvzptlhix.png

78AB8532-0B33-4A2D-92A2-8B4F41B1A48E_zps7ey6rfx6.jpg

Car has factory bench seat 4 speed,
I’m wondering what the third tx9 means?
Vinyl roof or black stripe?
This is a Canadian car just to let you know. Thanks for any help!

upper door panel color
Thanks

So if it had a vinyl roof there would be another tx9 code? And a black stripe that would be another tx9 code. So it would be possible to have a quintiplit
Tx9 car

I’ll go to that code reader later. I’m just at work now. Thanks guys and girls

Thanks

So if it had a vinyl roof there would be another tx9 code? And a black stripe that would be another tx9 code. So it would be possible to have a quintiplit
Tx9 car

Side stripe code would be V6X black or V6W white......Transverse or tail panel stripes would be V8X black or V8W White. Delete side stripes would be V68, Delete transverse V88

Thanks

Tx9 car

Nope

Code Description
E55 340-4 Barrel 69-73
D21 Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual Transmission
VS29
V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
S = Special
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
H2B
H = 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
2 = 1972
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
342000 Sequence Number '342000'
TX9 Paint Code: Black / Black Velvet
D2X9
Trim Grade/Style/Color
D = Deluxe
2 = Vinyl Bench
X9 = Black
TX9 Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet
303 Date Built: 3 / 03 / 1972
279910 Order Number: 279910
TX9 Roof Type OR Color: Black / Black Velvet
U Built to Specifications for USA Order
G33 Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome
J25 3 Speed Variable Wipers
J52 Inside Hood Release
M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings
N23 Electronic Ignition 72 only
N41 Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
N42 Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
R11 Music Master Radio AM
V6W White Longitude Sports Stripe
V8W Transverse Stripe - White
EN2 End of Codes Assembly Line 2

E5CEE1A7-AC17-40F6-BD88-03DA42AB111F_zpsbk7znkbc.jpg
Thanks for the info Sir.
To bad it’s not a triple black car, I still love it anyhow!

Did lots of those 340 cars have a bench seat?

View attachment 1715190207 Thanks for the info Sir.
To bad it’s not a triple black car, I still love it anyhow!

Did lots of those 340 cars have a bench seat?
Lots did. Buckets were an option...most of the time. It really mostly depended on whether it was a factory HP package that included bucket seats or not. People liked bench seats back then and unless it was part of some sort of performance package that already came with buckets, few spent the extra money to get buckets

Lots did. Buckets were an option...most of the time. It really mostly depended on whether it was a factory HP package that included bucket seats or not. People liked bench seats back then and unless it was part of some sort of performance package that already came with buckets, few spent the extra money to get buckets

I honestly like the bench seat

Performance had nothing to do with it.

Performance had nothing to do with it.

"Do you think the car is rare with its option for bench seat/340/4speed.
Thanks I value your opinion. The bottom is covered with a undercoating that’s pealing off in places and a lot of rust in all the normal places."

Not as much as the color black. 1972 Duster340 production was 15,681 total. Of that 15,681 approx 1.6% were painted black, the least desired color due to being hot in summer and hard to keep clean. Doing quick math you can calculate approx 250 black cars were produced. This in itself creates the rarity. Four speed vs automatic cars is not known or at least as far as I know. If someone has that factory info pleased let me know.

J55 is the code for undercoat with hood pad. This code can be found on the vehicles build sheet if your lucky enough to find it. Do not confuse undercoat for wheel well sound deadener which all cars received.

My Duster 340 was born the day before yours at the same plant. My sequence first 3 digits is even 340. I also have black bench seats and a 4 speed.

Are you going to be doing a restoration or at least getting it back on the road? Maybe selling it?

-
Back