'72 Scamp-not really a "restoration"

-
...here's a couple of the dash at night...I think the bulb condom fell off the light in the water temp gage, and I really have no desire to dig that sob out of there anytime soon. This dash looks good in the car, but there were a few moments where I wanted to commit despicable acts going in.

Also a pic of the interior at night...I found an online fabric supplier (SMS Auto Fabrics, I believe was the name) and requested a swatch of one of their patterns...light blue/black houndstooth...thinking about how that might look on the seats, door panels, and maybe the dash pad. Any comments are of course, welcome.

Then there's the last pic...yeah, I know my garage is a wreck-and it's the wrong kinda engine...this is my other project. It's an all aluminum 4.6 4V prepping to go into my '84 Mustang GT with a single turbo. I still have a ton of parts left to buy on that one, but what you see is just for mock up purposes...I'm not looking forward to degreeing all four cams.
love the dask panel where did you get it i would love to have one like that ! looks awesome

Peak Dashes-he's one of the members here, casha10. If you go to the classifieds, interior parts and look in the first few pages, it should be a long thread. He does lots of different apps...small gauges, big gauges, splayed, inline, with or without heater controls or radio, glove box door, no glove box door...

They take a little while to make, but if you're in no hurry he'll accommodate your needs and you'll be happy with the outcome. I am.

keep going' just got 71 swinger keeping the 6 cyl auto no need for speed.

Would love to, but I'm in Hawaii and my car's in Texas. My brother lives in Washington and I needed to take some vacation after pcs'ing...Hawaii is pretty and there's lots to do, but work is still work and sometimes ya got to got to got to get away. His is still in work but he works a bunch of hours at Boeing.

Also looking at installing Calvert Racing goodies in the rear...inspiration from that one was courtesy of younggun2.0. Trying to decide between heavily modding the front suspension or just going HemiDenny fabbed K in the front. After doing some basic cost estimates, I'd only spend a few hundred more on the fabbed K and it comes with free better handling and almost limitless engine configs ....
This setup ,looks great. I can vouch Cal-Trac's ,by personal experience. The Comp Engineering "Slide a Links",work well too... Choice,would depend on leaf springs. The Comp Engineering,works ok with stock leaf spring packs(What I have seen,on the streets.JMO).

That's good info on the cal-tracs. and I believe younggun's thread was the same place I read about them...also considering using the spring sliders to reduce the leaf deflection. And you're spot on about the HDK front suspension-the reasons you cited are the exact same reasons I have the parts listing Denny sent me how to set up his front end. Only a few bills difference, extra room, rack and pinion steering, and almost infinite engine/suspension setup? Yes, please! Sounds like a winner to me.

I can't really do anything until I leave Hawaii, but at least I'll have more of a plan...just can't leave here with the bills I have racked up.

Hey TX...I am not really an A Body guy but love MOPARS. B Body for me. Looks like you are doing some great work there. We can make this 383 thing happen no doubt. Just as you said, need to get the logistics down but I can get it up to Chico no problem as the distance is really not that far. Long day trip. the 383 if you do take it is a great build for a non HP 383. Runs like a scalded Cat and will look really nice in your A Body. Hope to hear back from you on it. I PM'd you back so make sure to check that one out. What are your working there at Hickam. If you are a B-1 maintainer then you must be working In route for the Maintenance Group there I am guessing. Keep in touch and now that I am up to date on your builds and needs here on FABO, I will pop in to see the results. Check out FBBO as I am one of the regulars over there...cr8crshr/Bill

Attachments

• DSCN0290.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCN0292.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 404
Hey Bill! Happy New Year, and that's a sharp lookin' ride. Believe it or not, the 383 will more likely end up in my Dad's '84 Ramcharger, but now that there will be two B engines available to me, there may be a 383 between the shocks on my Scamp too.

As far as what I'm doing at Hickam, I technically belong to the 15 MXS working as the Maintenance Flight Chief (ISO/R&R) for the KC-135s...which actually belong to the HIANG...like I mentioned in my PM, it's a convoluted mess. But, because of some deployment shenanigans and a last minute DQ (not me), I was <ahem> borrowed by the AMXS as a Pro Super for the C-17s. By trade, I was a B-1 Crew Chief and was in Production for 2 years before I finally left Dyess after 17 years...my 4 year tour here will likely be cut short, but I'm not sure by how much, so I need to go into vMPF and update my assignment preference page so I don't get fucked into an assignment I don't want, so I'm putting MacDill and Dyess on my sheet. After that the wife and I will probably retire to Florida...but that's still under debate as well.

Anyway, I'm jonesin' like crazy to work on my car, reload ammo, shoot my guns...can't do any of that here...so I gotta read about everyone else's projects...

Jeff I hear ya. Me likey the shooting gig too. Hard here in California sometimes but for now not too restrictive as I pretty much have everything I need or want already. I actually retired from working for the AF in 2011 down in Florida at Eglin AFB with the 919th SPEC OPS Wing as an Aerial Delivery Rigger. FL is OK but I am entrenched here in the West so I came back here. Looking in a year or so to move up to Reno for my final Homestead. Much more friendly State with taxes and such. Plus it is only 2.5 hours from Travis so I can keep my Tri Care for Life at David Grant and with the VA. For a retiree the dollar goes farther there than here. Any way, I'll PM ya on the cost to get the 383 to Chico after I work it up. All I would need is a point of contact there so I can arrange a convenient time to run it up there. Most likely it will be at the end of the month. Enjoy the Hawaii Trade winds and if you get a chence to hit the Hale Koa for a Mai Ti...Best on the Island...have one for me...Bill:blob::blob::blob::blob::blob:

So I've gathered about the shooting bit in Cali...I shake my head at some of the laws I've read about there, and talked to a couple LEO types from SoCal--even they think the laws are ridiculous. But, I'll not get too much into the political climate because every state has their ups and downs...even my Texas home has some I'm not fond of.

Odd you should mention Eglin, that's the area I was looking to retire to because of decent weather favorable laws and what appears to be comfortable living expenses, plus a bunch of other factors both my wife and I like...mostly because it splits the driving distance between our respective home states. I hope to not need tricare much after I retire.

Anyway, I'll get with my friend and let him know I'd like to fwd you his info for quicker coordination. For the time being, rest assured, we enjoy the weather and the barefoot bar with Friday night fireworks as much as possible. It's finally the right time of year for Kona Pipeline Porter over at Yard House...too bad they don't bottle it.

Schnikes, I didn't even notice someone had posted on my thread-I might've created a screen name on DFW, but I don't think I was on there for anymore than classifieds...I also have the same name on Stangnet, modularfords, militarystangs, a couple others. I posted mostly on Stangnet though.

The name looks familiar to me too, and I'm not on any mustang forums. I keep thinking Volksrods.com or DIYmobileaudio...but I'll have to go look.

Jay

I haven't registered this screen name on either of those pages, but perhaps someone else has. :dontknow:

So I finally moved back to Texas late 2016, got into a house April '17, shop built, wired and lit in October '17 and just got my Scamp back from Dad's house near H-town about a month ago. I haven't accomplished much on it apart from replacing some bulbs and trying to install the digi-tails I bought 5 years ago before I PCS'd to Hawaii.

As it turns out, I guess I either did something wrong or I have a weird driver side unit. I wired it up the way the instructions say to do it...the passenger side works fine until I turn on the hazards...then everything just comes on and stays lit...no cycling. The instructions say a normal relay should work fine with hazards unless you install LED bulbs elsewhere in the circuit. I don't have any other LEDs but 4 ways no worky worky, and I did install the no load relay in place of the blinker relay.

As soon as I pull the headlight switch out to either position (park or headlights), the left side assembly goes full bright and stays that way until I push the light switch off, or until I try to use the left turn signal...then it does some weird thing where it shows 2 or 3 vertical columns flash, then back to full bright, then swaps with 2 or 3 other columns, then back to full bright. But if I try to use the turn signal without the lights on, it does nothing. If I turn on the hazards without the lights, it does nothing.

I tried to bench test it, and it does the same thing when I directly connect 12V to the yellow wire when in the "STD" setting. If I ground out the green, it seems to work correctly, and connecting it to the brown by itself will also make it go full bright... a little weird.

I sent them an email and left a message just for good measure, hopefully I'll get a reply sometime soon and they can either give me some good feedback on how to fix it, or just send it back for reprogramming or a replacement.

...at least I got it back in my possession!

Hello all, I have a '72 given to me by my Dad, and since I'm a new member here, I was asked by one of the moderators to post up a couple of pictures...here goes...

...oh-and no clowning the bootleg custom seat repair...I know they need to be reupholstered...
:)

Hahahahaha! Man, I put "new" seats in the car a long time ago...

I just need to recap some work done to the car.

Next things on the list:

Restore functionality of the tail lights
Fix trans leak (probably just a pan gasket...haven't crawled up under it yet to confirm
Remove fresh air boxes and vacuum out debris from cowl area (car sat under trees for 5 years)
Adjust brakes and bleed as necessary
Register/inspect and make roadworthy--drive once or twice to make sure it still can

Take front suspension apart
Rebuild LCAs
Install 1.03 T bars
Install rebuilt UCAs
Install 11.75" Cordoba brakes
Install all new tie rods, sleeves, and idler arm

Install 8 3/4 with 3.23 and SG
*Need to get new leaf springs...

...list goes on...

Picked it up from the exhaust shop a few hours ago now-I really like that the fabber was able to install over-the-steering linkage pipes. He did a nice job especially with the driver side pipe-less than 1/2" clearance between the late model starter and torsion bar.
Did you have that done at Mike Mayburys shop? I copied your pix BTW, i have the same headers, and starter, and will have the same issues.

I don't know the dude's name, but it's Aapple muffler over on Ambler. He did a good job cobbling all the pipe segments together, but it cost me $275...in addition to the parts I bought, the cost would've been a wash if I'd have purchased some uncoated long TTI or Doug's headers and had him install the pieces to them...

Ok i know him. Being you did that way back in 2012, i thought you took it by Mayberry. He passed away a couple years ago. Did the custom cat back setup on my silverado in 1996 i think. Thick assed pipe. Still mounted under the truck.

I will likely buy some mandrel U bends and make up the headpipes myself using your pix as a guide when i get ready to do this. Then probably buy accurate exhaust tailpipes, hangars, and flowmaster 40s, and trailer it up to Aapple and have em make and install the intermediate pipes. If i go H pipe, i may have header collector connections at the muffler inlets so if i got to drop the trans i can easily get the front pipe assemblies out of the way.

Last edited:
I bought the pipes from Columbia river mandrel bending; pretty sure I bought either 4 or 6 J bends 2.5" diameter. I will say this much, if you're going to use them on something mild, I'd recommend a 2.25" pipe to give you a little extra room. It's snug quarters under there and between the T bar and starter, real estate is already at a premium...

-
Back