'72 Scamp

-
Yesterday I discovered my favorite tool. The wire wheel.

The dash tray.

Almost makes me want to take up smoking again.

The yellow, stained and a little rusty rear window panels.

A quick pass with the wire wheel.

And a splash of gloss black

As you see a very rust pitted and stained yellow door. Not what I want to see.

After a few passes with the wire wheel, all is smooth bare metal again. Then primed and shot with gloss black.

After unboxing my Christmas goodies, I got a chance to pop the door panel back on. After finishing it up, the remote control for the mirror decided to let go. Well, after a few expletives I took the panel off again and had to make a new clip to secure the remote. While the panel was off, I freshened up the silver trim with some testors model paint. Yep, I brushed it on with a steady hand. After it dried, I snapped it all back together again. Next, I need to find some speakers.

Stay Tuned...

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!!!

I got started this morning about 9:30 and got a few things done...

The air box door was off and laying in a box when I got her. I picked up a rivet gun from HF one day after work and make quick work of reinstalling the door. 1st time using a rivet gun. :cheers: Low hanging fruit! I much prefer a lot of little jobs as opposed to one big job.

Also got the rear panels painted and put back.

And then started working on the pass door.

Feeling a little tired, I started putting everything away and spotted...

A leaky master cylinder. GRRRRRRRRR

Stay tuned...

Looking good.

Look on the bright side, better to discover a faulty master cylinder in the garage than on the road. Brake failure is no fun….but replacing a master cylinder is easy and relatively cheap.

Looking good.

Look on the bright side, better to discover a faulty master cylinder in the garage than on the road. Brake failure is no fun….but replacing a master cylinder is easy and relatively cheap.

True on the lesser of two evils bit-I'd rather replace the m/c, but not only do you have a potential brake failure, but you also have the erosion of topcoat and corrosion due to the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid.

Today was fun. I had the day off so I decided to finish up the pass door and reinstall the kick panel...

Then I moved over to the dash. Those crusty broken dash vents were calling my name so I plucked them out. Replacements on the way from a FABO member.

Then I got brave and decided to remove the cluster. My plan is to clean it up and maybe freshen up the paint and maybe replace the bulbs while I'm in here. Has anyone used LEDs?

Stay Tuned...

I have a set of LED bulbs in a box for all my interior, signal bulbs, brake lights, and marker lights. Haven't gotten far enough with mine to install them though. I'm almost there, she's going into the booth for paint in a couple of weeks!

Examining the cluster I saw a loose pin on the round connector. So I removed the circuit board and discovered how the pins are attached and that the loose one wasn't even secured to the board.

So I pulled out the old dremel and wire wheel attachment and got after the contact. Alter 40 years of corrosion was gone, I soldered the pin to the board.

Then decided it probably would be a good idea to solder the rest of the pins as well. Afterward, I ran a continunity test and everything checked out. :cheers:

After that, I cleaned up the contacts for the light bulbs.

Stay Tuned...

Getting the dash all spiffy. Going for the survivor look.

Also removed the m/c and found a shredded boot and cracked plastic spacer.

Not to mention a broke up battery cable.

Also removed the dash pad and noticed the date stamped underneath.

Even inside the glove box door, the original owner stamped out a sticky label... Nostalgia!

Stay Tuned...

It's finally gotten warm enough to get back out in the garage. I did very little this winter. It was too cold here in Maryland.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...bums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/12Feb14/IMAG0620.jpghttp://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/12Feb14/IMAG0620.jpg
Back in February, I was able to score a set of dash vents from a FABO member.
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/12Feb14/IMAG0621.jpg
So I painted 'em black.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/08Apr14/IMAG0688.jpg
In early April I removed the steering wheel. Look for it in the items for sale section.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/13May14/DSCF3365.jpg
In early May, I removed the intake/exhaust manifold and 2bbl carb. I'll be putting these up for sale too. don't know what they are worth but they are gonna be a heavy ship.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/04May14/IMAG0707.jpg
The block had 1 long longitudinal crack running the length of 2 cylinders. I drained and removed the radiator and out came 40oz of water. No wonder the block cracked!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/13May14/IMAG0734.jpg
The day before Mother's Day my sister and her husband came to visit so he and I removed the boat anchor. When they went back to Virginia, they took it and the transmission with them along with that rotten fetid bench seat.

Stay Tuned...

Glad you're getting back at it.

I think there will be a market for the intake, exhaust, and 2BBL. I think a buyer may also want the throttle linkage, so you may want to put that aside too to sell with the carb.

What are you plans for a new engine?

Not trying to be a bearer of bad tidings, but those look like truck headers, otherwise, nice to see some posts!

They could be, but they will work until the first speed bump crushes them...
I'm not gonna turn down free parts though

Stay Tuned...

Not at all--I wouldn't expect anyone to turn them down...but I don't think they'll even sit in the bay because the left side will probably hit the steering box and the linkages.

Good find on the diff. Could try Craigslist,for headers on a budget. After that,Most likely Summit's house brand,if on a budget.(Shipping used headers,kills most good deals.).

tx, you were right! I'm sorry, as usual I was wrong.
These ARE truck headers. My brother in law brought me the wrong ones.
After I explained to him what you guys were saying, he got to thinking, went out in his garage and low and behold, the ones he meant to bring me were on his shelf. Of course after I cleaned and painted these!

This is what he meant to bring.

No worries dude, I just didn't want you to waste any time or perforate any digits trying to install something that wouldn't go...as a Crew Chief, I was maligned and vilified by many saying all we were good for was trying to hammer square pegs into round holes...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ;)

In any event-glad you acquired the right ones...they're still no fun to install, but at least they'll go in there...good time to makes sure your tie rods and such are still serviceable.

-
Back