727 ASSEMBLY GREASE QUESTION

-
All one needs to know is that Vaseline works. Trans specific lubes work. Grease others and I have mentioned work. Use what you feel, think etc is best. It doesn’t need to be so complicated or contested. It’s not like we’re talking flat tappet cam break-in and what lube to use!!!:eek:

We can talk about flat tappet cams too. lol
I have an old tub of wheel bearing grease I would never give a second thought about using. lol
Broke in many of a cam with it back in my day. lol

We can talk about flat tappet cams too. lol
I have an old tub of wheel bearing grease I would never give a second thought about using. lol
Broke in many of a cam with it back in my day. lol

4A61A248-CF63-4484-9946-6D2BDA08532B.gif

Which of our members do you speak of?
That information I believe was obtained on a personal phone call when I was rebuilding one of my first transmissions... He's made his comments so I would think that he would see this and if he wanted to be known would say so...
Quote: if one of my guys couldn't rebuild at least two of these Mopar transmissions in a day they wouldn't have a job here very long...
Us as hobbyists should consider this one of the easier things we can do. It's been my experience so far that the taking it out and putting it in is five times harder than the rebuilding it...
I can't understand the guys that have the time and ability to get one of these out and give it to somebody to do the easy part and pay good Lord knows how much get it back and then have the tools and time to put it all back in. And then claim they don't have time to mess with it LOL...
They're scared of the unknown...

I like the idea of the Vaseline getting warm and dissolving away quickly when the transmission fluid hits it...
Why does this not surprise me. All good. He has me on ignore anyway.

When I get an opinion citing another's opinion it's cuz the original poster has no opinion...but we're supposed to listen to them...why... Don't act like you have an educated opinion if you don't really have a firsthand opinion at all.

Thanks for everyone's input. I just wasn't sure.......I didn't want to use something that was incompatible with the friction material. Ran into this problem with wet clutches on an ATV. :thumbsup:

I used to work in a transmission rebuilding shop, on the Manual-trans and differential line. Every Fuller Roadranger kit comes with a small tube of Fuller silicone O-ring lube. Since the trans only has a couple of O-rings to lube, in the shifter mech. about 80/90 per cent of the tube is not used. I took the surplus tubes home until I amassed too many. That was in the late 70s.
I used the silicone-lube in every auto-trans I built, on the side.
I eventually ran out, and was forced to buy a small bottle, but Man! thatchit was pricey.

-
Back