727 converter issues.

-

That's not good
Sounds like it's inside the converter to me.
The trans appeared to be functioning OK in the video
Drop the pan before you pull it and see what kind of thrash, if any, is in the trans. Will give you a good indication of what is going on.
Good luck, keep us posted should be interesting.

Im steering towards converter, fluid is perfect but never know until the pan is down.

20190516_162949.jpg

A bit of stator side-play is normal, cuz the reaction support stabilizes that part; but end-play is not.
But yours looks to be tipping at times, so my guess is the thrust-bearing is gone

That's what i was thinking too, it's been through a couple torquey engines so wouldn't doubt it.

I looked inside and it has some in it, im thinking the is pump trashed to maybe broke a chunk off and float around making the tapping noises. Trans is going to come apart this weekend for inspection then go from there.

Last edited:
I looked inside and it has some in it, im thinking the is pump trashed to maybe broke a chunk off and float around making the tapping noises. Trans is going to come apart this weekend for inspection then go from there.

I think you are right and a good call to tear it down for inspection.
Those black bits are a little concerning as well.

Well the transmission looks perfect inside! No pump damage just the busching has a little wear, im changing the busching and sealing rings/gasket and getting a new converter.

-
Back