727 fluid capacity/cooler preference

-

jazak5

Reaction score
Adding a trans cooler to the car....
When doing so does the extra fluid cause an overfill situation causing it to leak out the vent in the front pump /drain back??

Read alot about the difference between the stacked plate / tube fin designs...

Alot are saying (Deisel/truck guys) that the stacked plate design can clog and they prefer the tube design because it allows debris to get to the pan...

any experience out there??

doesnt the stock radiator have a transmission oil cooler build in?

Never heard of that.. but I would think if you oriented the cooler with the lines aiming down only the lines and first row on each side could drain back.

doesnt the stock radiator have a transmission oil cooler build in?
finally got my summer cooling issues fixed kool flow wp/champion 3 core/7 blade fan/shroud /190 high flow stat and a new hayden HD thermo clutch... I dont want to undo the gains with going to a higher stall torque converter 3000 or cook my trans...

finally got my summer cooling issues fixed kool flow wp/champion 3 core/7 blade fan/shroud /190 high flow stat and a new hayden HD thermo clutch... I dont want to undo the gains with going to a higher stall torque converter 3000 or cook my trans...

how about one of these doohickeys ?

Derale # 14210, 518 / 618 / 46RE / 47RE / 48RE / 727 Transmission Pan Cooler - PATC - TransmissionCenter.net

DeraleTube2.jpg

higher capacity means lower overall temps
and it has the cooling tubes

If the transmission cooler is clogging with debris, you've got bigger issues than a clogged cooler.
the truck guys claim most of their failures are torque converter related (from what I have read) being that the TC is the last circuit in the pressure side before the cooler the trans cooler clogs ...the trans is itself ok due to the filter..
Like In posted//JUST asking ? BIG BAIT :poke::icon_fU::lol:

Last edited:
Maybe for a truck, I could see that hitting the ground. Or making a whistling noise as the air goes through it...

how about one of these doohickeys ?

Derale # 14210, 518 / 618 / 46RE / 47RE / 48RE / 727 Transmission Pan Cooler - PATC - TransmissionCenter.net

View attachment 1715855922

higher capacity means lower overall temps
and it has the cooling tubes
yeah I've seen those but IMO there like a heat sink oil cooler (all coolers are heat sinks) and have not seen any data on temps never the less on a hot engine/pavement at a red light with stagnant air ...The trans is the 4th victim with the exhaust (MC/steering box/starter)

Last edited:
I’m not running a 727 in my cars. But we put a 727 in my buddies 70 340 Dart last summer. Just ran the external cooler and fill the trans as normal.

in my 02 Ram 2500 V8, have a 46RE, basically a 727 with OD. Stock they have a back flow valve in the trans cooler line. When I did a trans rebuild, I removed the check valve and put in a larger external cooler than was stock.

Also, think about why the manual says to get fluid warm and check in “N”. The fluid expands when hot and is moving in the system cus the pump is spinning while in “N” or gear.

just use the external cooler and not the one in the radiator.

-
Back