727 Governor Weight Differences

-

d55dave

Reaction score
Governor Weights. I am rebuilding an 85 727 with some performance upgrades. This is a non lock up small block 727 and is the newest one that I have done.

I am just starting sub assembly mods and rebuilds and have run into a snag with the governor. I was ready to install an A&A 5600 governor weight, but it appears that the mid 80s governor body uses a substantially larger (outer diameter) weight. Has anyone run into this before? Can I put a mid 70s governor body on the 85 output shaft in order to use the A&A weight?

Are there any other differences in this transmission that I should be aware of, will the '85 valve body be ok with a transgo tf2 shiftkit, will it work with an earlier governor assembly (if I change it)?

IMG_20181201_135016.jpg

IMG_20181201_132757.jpg

IMG_20181201_132440.jpg

IMG_20181201_130511.jpg

I did not know that. Nice clean-up job.
What was the rear-end ratio of the vehicle it cam out of; I bet it was pretty low numerically? And engineered to shift pretty early.

IDK the answer to your question, but I agree with your thinking; bolt the "normal" standard governor on. The kit is gonna recalibrate your line and TV pressures in accordance to the standard governor, so IMO it will all be good, with the standard governor.
For my personal car that's what I would do, cuz, that's HotRodding.......
But IDK.
Chit, I shouldda just stayed sleeping,lol...........

Last edited:
D55Dave, "In 1980, governor weight diameter increased by .070" to allow common tooling".

D55Dave, "In 1980, governor weight diameter increased by .070" to allow common tooling".
Hey, thanks Tom. Where is that quote from? The old weights are 1" in diameter. It is hard to believe that 1.070" would be more "standard". I measured everything else up on the governor housing and everything else is the same. I have put on a pre 1980 housing and it all seems good.

I did not know that. Nice clean-up job.
What was the rear-end ratio of the vehicle it cam out of; I bet it was pretty low numerically? And engineered to shift pretty early.

IDK the answer to your question, but I agree with your thinking; bolt the "normal" standard governor on. The kit is gonna recalibrate your line and TV pressures in accordance to the standard governor, so IMO it will all be good, with the standard governor.
For my personal car that's what I would do, cuz, that's HotRodding.......
But IDK.
Chit, I shouldda just stayed sleeping,lol...........
Hey AJ. I dont know the rear end ratio, I got the transmission as a core. Thanks for the compliment on the clean up, every good build starts with cleaning! I share your thoughts and have installed a pre 1980 governor housing. I will let you know if I find any other differences.

Hey, thanks Tom. Where is that quote from? The old weights are 1" in diameter. It is hard to believe that 1.070" would be more "standard". I measured everything else up on the governor housing and everything else is the same. I have put on a pre 1980 housing and it all seems good.

Page 14 of this book. :):)

fullsizeoutput_4af6.jpeg

Dave, tried to send you a private message but your box is full.
Tom Hand

-
Back