727 guru question...

-
I don't know how you are going to be able to do that, but I've lost track of how many you actually have on hand anyway...

Well I found this one transmission on Craigslist from a motorhome that is definitely in my opinion the one that I need.. maybe not the one but the kind...
It was said to came from a 440 motorhome but I can tell the tail housing is the correct one... Unfortunately he wants $400 for it and lives 2 and 1/2 hours each way and 330 mi round trip...
Which in my truck would probably be a minimum of $120 in gas at the current prices...
Most people want 100 to 150 bucks for a core transmission.. I think he said something about it was rebuilt at some point but weren't they all by this time?.. and behind a motorhome that's a lot of stress and I would rebuild it anyways regardless of what anybody said...
Oh well I'll just keep looking got plenty of time...
Screenshot_20220416-071938.png
Screenshot_20220416-071913.png

At $400, he's gonna be sitting on that for a long time.
Yeah I wanted to sling him in a $100 offer as of course it'll take me 5 hours and a hundred and $20 worth of gas to get it... But when someone starts at 400 a 100 is obviously a slap in the face low ball offer I feel...
He says he's taken the oil pan off for inspection but I would want to take the oil pan off to see what was in it...

Pull in and out on the input shaft and see if it's more than about .040. If it's loose it wasn't rebuilt by a pro; somebody just slapped a kit into it.

all you need is a 727 big block case , the valve body's all interchangeable 904 & 727

He says he's taken the oil pan off for inspection but I would want to take the oil pan off to see what was in it...

I think he shot himself in the foot. The only reason to take the pan off is to try and figure out what's wrong, or hide evidence.

A serious seller wanting top dollar for a previously rebuilt unit would leave the fluid in it and the pan on, until the buyer shows up. Pan stays on until money is out, and sale remains contingent on it not being full of crud when opened.

That's the only way to prove its worth more than a core IMO.

Motorhome transmissions don't seem to be plentiful, but they're also not in huge demand I don't think. The real value in the standalone trans is that they don't come with a "free" motorhome attached! Hah.

I found one today.. The guy lives a few hours away and is coming within an hour on Saturday... $200..

Sure the park rod is different from a 904 to a 727, but that's not a vb difference. The usual overlooked difference is in the actual casting where the vb meets the case just in front of the rear servo. In the earlier sixties, there were a lot more differences.

I know John Cope uses 72-76 vb for his reverse manuals. They work in 66-86 transmissions. I’m not sure how it gets them to cover so many years. Must be some modifications he makes. Kim

I know John Cope uses 72-76 vb for his reverse manuals. They work in 66-86 transmissions. I’m not sure how it gets them to cover so many years. Must be some modifications he makes. Kim
The later valve bodies extend farther back over the case; towards the low/reverse servo, whereas the earlier valve bodies (some of them) do not extend back far enough to cover orifices in the later cases. I'm not saying that the later vb's (71-up)can automatically be used on 66-up cases; I don't know if he does any mods to allow that. But I've seen earlier vb's have the extension go farther back as well.

I put a 68 vb foreword pattern manual with a Trans Go dash 3 into a 73 case and it works great. Some of the case was uncovered. Kim

I can't risk that...if the trans doesn't work for one of my customers, they're pretty much helpless to correct it. So when they come in mismatched like that, I don't work on them.

They usually come in as the newer cases with the older non-PTK valve body. I'm not going to just give them a free PTK valve body, and they usually don't understand what the problem is, so I just tell them to take it somewhere else. There are a lot of reasons to pass on a build. I just had one with a newer case and pump with an older direct drum that somebody had installed a wider bushing into. No, that's not gonna work. Need the newer drum with the slot instead of the round hole. Recently had a 66 trans and the guy expects me to change out the input shaft to the newer spline for free. Ya right, I'll pass on that one too. Or the motorhome transmissions that the guy wants changed to longtail. "$150?!? are you crazy??"

There is always someone that u just can’t explain it to their satisfaction. Or they just don’t want to hear it. But most ppl understand where your coming from. I give them a price that I can live with barring unforeseen circumstances. With the trans being 50 or so years old u never know what someone could of did to it. Cause let’s face it many have been rebuilt maybe once, twice maybe even more times than that. I have lots of hard parts if I need to replace anything. Kim

If the ptk valve body was switched and they need a longtail made of it; then their core is worth less than the parts they need for me to add to it and they'd be better off finding another trans.

-
Back