727 Low and reverse band... This can't be right

-

Cole Andews

Reaction score
Was having problems with my 727 kicking down so I thought I'd take the pan off and adjust the low and reverse band. The transmission is an unknown TCI that I found behind a crate engine. I've driven it about 50 miles trying to adjust the cable to get it to kickdown properly but I think I found the problem. How hard is it to replace these?

IMG_20180820_182302.jpg

IMG_20180820_182258.jpg

Was having problems with my 727 kicking down so I thought I'd take the pan off and adjust the low and reverse band. The transmission is an unknown TCI that I found behind a crate engine. I've driven it about 50 miles trying to adjust the cable to get it to kickdown properly but I think I found the problem. How hard is it to replace these?

View attachment 1715213059

View attachment 1715213060
DEFINITELY wrong. Looks like the spring keeper let go...maybe to stiff of a spring?

I don't think that arm will swing out of the way enough. You have to remove the tail housing to get the pin out. Not horrible to do in car.

I don't think that arm will swing out of the way enough. You have to remove the tail housing to get the pin out. Not horrible to do in car.

You're right about that, especially in this case.. You can get lucky, sometimes, by backing the adjuster all the way out. But that spring looks pretty stout..

That almost looks like an accumulator spring. I bet that spring slowed down the application of the band and I think that was your original complaint.
I suppose,that big fat spring wrecked the thin tin retainer first. Then if the servo came up too high,(not likely, but possible),it couldda spewed fluid out the top and there went your clamping pressure.If this could or did happen, very likely the servo would have wrecked the lip seal on it's way back in.And that would lead to slippage of the band as well. If it was me I would do an air-pressure test with the VB off, trying to prove that. And if I was not satisfied with the test, I would pop it outta there for a look-see.
I think I have replaced that spring with the VB on, but had to dislocate the apply strut to do so. In your case I think I would drop the VB and inspect the accumulator spring, and compare it to this blue monster.
Alternatively, maybe someone will chime in who is more familiar with the TF than am I, (which shouldn't be hard,lol).

I've done this repair a few times.
A coupla times I was able to fiddle the piston back in, but it was easier/quicker to just remove the tailshaft housing bolts, very carefully move the housing back using a sharp scraper to separate/save the gskt.,move housing back less than an inch, clock the housing enuff for lever pin to be removed.
The piston was damaged a few times, and needed replacement.
There is a hi/po piston avail,as this is not an uncommon prob.
One of the ones I fiddled back in, came back needing replacement.
I leave the driveshaft in.

Last edited:
A coupla times I was able to fiddle the piston back in, but it was easier to just remove the tailshaft housing bolts, very carefully move the housing back using a sharp scraper to separate/save the gskt.,move housing back less than an inch, clock the housing enuff for lever pin to be removed.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna need to replace most of what's in there, thanks for the help

That almost looks like an accumulator spring. I bet that spring slowed down the application of the band and I think that was your original complaint.
I suppose,that big fat spring wrecked the thin tin retainer first. Then if the servo came up too high,(not likely, but possible),it couldda spewed fluid out the top and there went your clamping pressure.If this could or did happen, very likely the servo would have wrecked the lip seal on it's way back in.And that would lead to slippage of the band as well. If it was me I would do an air-pressure test with the VB off, trying to prove that. And if I was not satisfied with the test, I would pop it outta there for a look-see.
I think I have replaced that spring with the VB on, but had to dislocate the apply strut to do so. In your case I think I would drop the VB and inspect the accumulator spring, and compare it to this blue monster.
Alternatively, maybe someone will chime in who is more familiar with the TF than am I, (which shouldn't be hard,lol).
Thanks for the reply, I can wiggle most of it with my hands but we'll see how it goes

I think it was so out of adjustment that it moved to far and blew out the retainer

021.JPG

Also it hard to tell in the picture but it looks like a double wrap band, and they move the lever further than a single wrap band

A coupla times I was able to fiddle the piston back in, but it was easier/quicker to just remove the tailshaft housing bolts, very carefully move the housing back using a sharp scraper to separate/save the gskt.,move housing back less than an inch, clock the housing enuff for lever pin to be removed.

Do You you remove the valve body and push the pin out the other side towards the tailshaft or towards the engine?

Toward driveshaft, rear.
You'll see a tab on the tshaft housing that holds the pin in.
You just need to twist the housing enuff for pin to clear.

Last edited:
Can be done in car, without removing tailshaft. Remove valve body. Completely back off adjusting bolt. There is enough"slop", you can get the band strut out. Then the lever will swing down, allowing enough room to fix.

Looks worse than mine, any tips?
Ya.....I pulled the transmission. ...not fun.
But you have to take it apart. ..not hard.
Ever worked on an automatic?
I never had and did a full rebuild with help from the guys here...

Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

Not hard and not expensive. ....

Think you wanna give it a try?
We'll get you through it!

Jeff

Ya.....I pulled the transmission. ...not fun.
But you have to take it apart. ..not hard.
Ever worked on an automatic?
I never had and did a full rebuild with help from the guys here...

Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

Not hard and not expensive. ....

Think you wanna give it a try?
We'll get you through it!

Jeff

I was hoping I was just gonna replace this and pretend everything was fine and not have to do a full rebuild, hope it doesn't come down to that

-
Back