727 no reverse

-

Avispa

Reaction score
727 just overhauled and now has no reverse, all other gears are ok, any ideas ?

727 just overhauled and now has no reverse, all other gears are ok, any ideas ?
Did you overhaul it? Pull the pan and see if the low/reverse servo cover is in place. I had one from a TCI build do the same thing. Pulled the pan and found the servo cover was bent/distorted. Was not a big fan of the TCI build after that.

it's in a car i'm thinking of buying, may not have to pull yje trans, right? thanks for the input.
Won't post a pic of the car, don't wanna be responsible for any nightmares !

it's in a car i'm thinking of buying, may not have to pull yje trans, right? thanks for the input
Pulling the pan is messy, but will tell you a lot about the condition of the transmission. Check the two suggestions above first.

Pull the pan and see if the band strut fell out. If it was not installed properly it can pop out. Adjust band to 72 in/lb and back off 1.5-2 turns. Also check the servo for the rear band for cracks or damage to the seal.
You will have to pull the pivot pin to get the servo out. It will require removal of the tailshaft but can be done in the car. I cut the tab off and make a bracket that retains the pin so it can be pulled easy without removing the tail shaft.

Drive forward in L1 up to 20 mph. Let off the gas and see if you have engine braking. If you do have braking, the problem is NOT in the band.

-
Back