• other auto

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • switch to manual tranny

Votes: 25 10.5%

• Total voters
-

74Dart318

Reaction score
Which would be better for a daily driver/street rod?

727 are larger and probably more duroable....

904 smaller and faster....

depends on car...big heavy car..727

lighter A body 904.....

I race with 904s.....and have no problems with them...and i would not have a problem with a street car with a 904...but that my opinion.

You might want to try and look for an A998 or A999. They're the same as a 904 but have the lower 1st gear set.

If its just a small block nothing crazy there is not much wrong with going with a 904.

Another vote for the 904 from me. Or, as mentioned, one of the low first gear versions of the 904.

904 with 2.74:1 low gear

Yea yea yea, that's the ticket.

Even though the 904 is lighter, the pounds saved are minimal. They are only a 10th quicker if your racing them and properly built.

If it's in a everyday car/street hot rod, I would also look for a lock up just for the extra push in mileage. Then again, depending how much the engine is built up...LOL, who cares about mileage.

I run a MVB 727 behind my 64 dart small block, even when it was a built 273, now it is a nasty 416 stroker. It has a custom 2.89 low gear set and all the toys, about $4k in the trans + convertor.

Depends on your wallet and what you want and are doing with the car. Most folks a 904 with good parts is fine. :)

thank you guys for all the responses. I have a 727 in my car. it used to have the 904, but it was dying and i dont know much about tranny's. A guy told me the 727 was what i want anyway and it was $750 for him to put in a rebuilt one. so i went for it. I would like to have a 4-speed some day though, i ilke shifting

I didn't vote because it really comes down to how much HP you have and what your doing with the car. If it's a daily driver/street strip car making 450 hp or less in a light A body a properly built 904 is fine. If it's a 416 stroker with 200 shot of nitrous a 727 would be better.

i have a 727 with a shift kit and 2500 stall in my 340 powered 69 cuda and i love this tranny i blew the original 904 and i would never go back to another.the 727 is one of the best trannys chrysler ever built=P~

thank you guys for all the responses. I have a 727 in my car. it used to have the 904, but it was dying and i dont know much about tranny's. A guy told me the 727 was what i want anyway and it was $750 for him to put in a rebuilt one. so i went for it. I would like to have a 4-speed some day though, i ilke shifting

Put a manual valve body in it then you can shift when you want to.

if you already have a 727 keep it. If your looking to buy a tranny you may have to go with a 904 as the 727's are getting scarce and expensive!

I vote for the A500 overdrive version of the 904. Has the 2:74 first gear ratio plus 4 speeds and possibly could be found with lockup.

Bit of work to put it in though...

904 with reverse manual valve body. id say 727 would be better fro street and strip use. 727s got more oomph tho. but id go with a 904 with 3spd reverse manual valve body. u still get the comfort of knowing you control the shifts but its still an auto

904....shifts faster i have one behind a 450 hp 340....

904 with steel planetarys installed, instead of aluminum is hard to beat. 727 is probably the best all around trany in the world. I think i read once that Maserati used them.

904 with steel planetarys installed, instead of aluminum is hard to beat. 727 is probably the best all around trany in the world. I think i read once that Maserati used them.

Range Rover and Jenson did for sure.

i had a 904 bolted up to my 318 but when I had it running before i tore into the engine. the thing would quit whenever i put it into gear. so I bolted up the 727 it was just sitting there anyway.
Hindsight. after tearing into the engine, the timing chain was so worn and the cam was so round i figure there was probably nothing wrong with my 904 after all. I'm gonna keep it around for a spare.

-
Back