727 or lock up 904

-

coyote42

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for advice and opinions, dangerous I know. I have a 727 and lock up 904 out of a 1991 ram150. My project is a 67 Cuda fb , 340ci around 350hp when done, I have collected sure grip center sections from 2.94, 3.23, 3.55, 3.91 gears. I plan to drive it a lot. Some long cruises to shows, some track time but not much. I know the 727 is stouter but I know the 904 is lighter and saves some HP. I like the idea of the lock up converter I could activate with a switch to save some RPM on highway runs but I would also like to do a reverse manual valve body. It is fun to drive that way, had it on other cars. Car is in paint shop now, planning ahead for assembly. Thanks in advance.

I would go for the lockup and the 3.55 gear.

Didn't they have problems with the trans input shaft stripping with the lockup converters? I had a 77 Volaire that had that problem, almost made it to work when the tranny quit. Had to have car towed to have it fixed. Maybe a tranny guy would have more info and add some info.

So you have the a500 overdrive trans or a 904 with lock up converter? If its a 91 a500 overdrive trans it also has lockup converter as well. I wouldn't be afraid to run the that behind a 340, going to need some fab work on tunnel and trans mount but the overdrive would be nice. Not sure if there is rmvb for the od trans.

Last edited:
So you have the a500 overdrive trans or a 904 with lock up converter? If its a 91 a500 overdrive trans it also has lockup converter as well. I wouldn't be afraid to run the that behind a 340, going to need some fab work on tunnel and trans mount but the overdrive would be nice. Not sure if there is rmvb for the od trans.
Just a 904 w/lock up converter. Not o/d.

-
Back