727 [ Planetary Info ] Needed

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently purchased a 1974 Imperial with low miles [ 440-727 & Dana 60 with disk brakes ] for $750.00 , my plans are to pull entire drivetrain and scrap the whole car minus front disk brake set-up all these parts to be used on my 70 Duster . Can someone please tell me if my 727 would likely have the 4 gear front & rear planetarys I have seen this in 1 Ton RV 727,s just curious I know I can tear it down but want to learn about the 727 in general,, thankyou Chris

Hello, I just recently purchased a 1974 Imperial with low miles [ 440-727 & Dana 60 with disk brakes ] for $750.00 , my plans are to pull entire drivetrain and scrap the whole car minus front disk brake set-up all these parts to be used on my 70 Duster . Can someone please tell me if my 727 would likely have the 4 gear front & rear planetarys I have seen this in 1 Ton RV 727,s just curious I know I can tear it down but want to learn about the 727 in general,, thankyou Chris

I don't think there is any way to know unless you tear it down. my guess is will have the 3 gear set as it's a luxo cruiser but then again it's one of the heavier cars and may have the 4 gear set up. the 3 gear set up is fine, even for racing and will be just fine in a street or street/strip car.

Not sure on the planetary questions: I have seen BOTH 3 and 4 planetary sets in 4WD trannies - no rhyme or reason. Also, I am not sure the C body brakes will fit on an A body. Hopefully someone chimes in on this that knows 100%

I agree with Bob. Probably not a sure fire 100% way without a tear down. I will say this though. I think people kinda get hung up on stuff like this. I have a friend with a 5300 pound Grand Fury wagon that runs 12.80s and 8.40s in the 1/4 and 1/8 respectively. He runs 3 pinion planets.

........most had 4 pinions on the front 3 on the rear being in big cars[440s that is]......ur dana 60 is prolly a 9 1/4....................kim.........

-
Back