727 question

-

wes beem

Reaction score
we have a 727 behind our 360 magnum, car has never been driven, motor/trans are a fresh install. with the car jacked up in the past we were able to shift the transmission by simply pushing the lever on the transmission. We've run the engine a few times with the transmission in park/neutral to check for normal operation of the motor. the transmission did not have any fluid in it due to the fact we hadnt ran the trans cooler lines nor were we ready to hook up the B&M shifter bracket ext. While installing the driveshaft and u joint the other day we tried to shift the transmission again and the lever is completely stuck and we cant get it to move. is a transmission fine without fluid as long as its in park or neautral and not hooked up to a driveshaft or anything, what are the chances this tranny is now F$*KED?

Last edited:
The smart guys will chime in but, if you ran it without fluid....it is toast. Time to pull and rebuild. Even in P or N the pump and internals etc. are spinning. Next time and for others, at least put fluid and a hose between the in/out lines. You have nothing to lose now by, putting fluid in it but, my money is on you're going to rebuild it again.

I just had my 727 rebuilt and the builder told me put a 1/2 quart in the converter and 3 Quarts in the tranny. When you run it start filling it up with at least 6 more Qts. and check when hot. You're running the front pump dry on the trans and who knows what else might be messed up. I hope it was minimal damage but you won't know till it comes apart.

You didn't do it any good. Depending on what the rebuilder did, or if it had had fluid in it, there will be "some" residual lubrication. But an auto trans needs the bearings lubed, same as an engine. Just how long did you run the engine?

Consensus is you may have a serious problem, especially running it that long.

Pull it now trans is toast!!!
Pump will be junk and convertor also. all forward frictions will be smoked, possibly front planetary also. Lon;

My rule is, "If you aren't positive that the trans is to the full mark; SHUT IT OFF". You can check the level with the motor not running if it was recently shut off say five minutes. Mopar shut off from neutral.

Consensus is its fucked....so another question, I had a brand new reverse manual valve body in it, is this also ruined?

Sooooo test drove the car, absolutely nothing wrong with tranny at all. Shifts flawlessly now.

Running the engine without any fluid in the trans is nearly as bad as running an engine without oil. Your spinning the converter in the front pump and all the bushings are running dry. It may work now but you took a bunch of life out of it

What happens with no fluid is the bushings and thrust washers get roughed up. Running it with fluid will smooth them out, knocking down the high spots. The first one to show signs of wear will be the pump bushing and and converter area that rides within it. The front seal will begin to leak. The direct drum will begin to wobble from lack of thrust washer stability and the direct rings will scuff off and wear thin; resulting in a no third when hot condition. Third gear clutch pack will wear down, causing the trans to drop in and out of second; wearing out the band. These clutch and band particles will clog the filter and decrease pressure to the forward clutch; causing it to burn. The car will stop moving at all when hot, but after a ten minute cool down period, it will have a delayed, harsh reverse, but still no forward.

-
Back