727 tail shaft removal while in car?

-

69 M-CODE CUDA

Reaction score
I need to replace that pesky o-ring next to the tail shaft. Can the tail shaft be removed while tranny is installed in a 69 Barracuda? It looks like most bolts are accessible.

Thanks for the help.

Yes. I think you dont even need to remove the tailshaft housing completely. Remove the bolts and rotate the housing. I believe you can get enough clearance to slide the band pin out. After replacing the o-ring I pack silicone at the end of the pin. It wont leak again.

Just take a sharp chisel and knock off that nub that prevents the shaft from moving rearward. Use a magnet to slide it out, replace the o-ring and silicone it so it doesn't slip back out. A tailshaft housing is worth a lot less than all the work it takes to do it "right".

I just clean it with brake cleaner and pack it with RTV. It'll never leak again.

Mopar Mike is correct. I've turned those tail stocks to seal the pin too but I've ended up with a torn tail housing gasket a time or two so ya takes yer chances there. Of course you're probably finished the job already so this could be a useless post anywho. LOL

-
Back