727 Transmission angle

-

Edelweiss

Reaction score
RMS front end. Gen 2 Hemi. 727 trans. Does anyone know the the downangle of the transmission tailshaft? I think it's between 2-3 degrees? RMS should be same height as factory K member.

I'm not sure of what angle they are in your application but I have done a fair amount of custom builds and with universal joints you generally want between 1-3 degrees but whatever you have at the tailshaft you should have the same at the differential. I think this is the most important consideration. In other words, the angle of the tailshaft and the angle of the pinion shaft should be parallel but offset. The angle allows the joints to exercise and therefore distribute the grease. The reason they need to be the parallel is the universal joints will accelerate and decelerate as they go through their rotation and if they are different, it puts stress on the drive shaft and the U joints. When I built a Factory Five racing car that had a 4 link rear suspension, it was super easy to set this angle as the differential angle could be set with turnbuckle type link on what they called a "banana" bracket which came off the differential to a frame member above and in front of the diff, thus allowing you to rotate the differential until you had it parallel with the tailshaft.

Driveline Angles 101

-
Back