727 transmission problem

-

Iwannabefast318

Reaction score
So this is a pretty old trans coupled to a 318 mopar from a 1983 d150, the transmission isn't responding well to throttle and the fluid seems to be vanishing, no leaks no noise. I filled it up cause when I got it it was empty I used atf+4 for transmissions with 75000+. Poped it into gear and..about 5000 rpm gets me going backwards, forward is the same thing but it doesn't matter if I use half throttle or full..I get the same acceleration..torque converter?? Please help.

you ever check the fluid level?,,,,in neutral with engine running?

Have you checked the radiator to make sure it has no transmission fluid? As if the cooler in the radiator is compromised? What does the fluid look like on the dipstick? Is it nice and red? Does it smell good like new fluid or burnt? Have you tried manually shifting to first gear to see if it'll pull?

Have you checked the radiator to make sure it has no transmission fluid? As if the cooler in the radiator is compromised? What does the fluid look like on the dipstick? Is it nice and red? Does it smell good like new fluid or burnt? Have you tried manually shifting to first gear to see if it'll pull?
No cooler for the transmission, oil is dark red on stick,i have a channel on YouTube, tm I'll post a video, can you guys plz watch it and tell me what your advice would be

No cooler for the transmission, oil is dark red on stick,i have a channel on YouTube, tm I'll post a video, can you guys plz watch it and tell me what your advice would be

Then it's probably toast. It must have a transmission cooler. You don't have lines going to the bottom tank of the radiator?

Then it's probably toast. It must have a transmission cooler. You don't have lines going to the bottom tank of the radiator?
Thing is it never left the block, drove it twice to see if my driveshaft was good..or was until I realized any rpm got me 20mph, it isn't heat or fluid related

Thing is it never left the block, drove it twice to see if my driveshaft was good..or was until I realized any rpm got me 20mph, it isn't heat or fluid related
Ok. Good luck!

Has it ever been right that you know of? I ask because sometimes noobs will install the converter relief valve backwards. It's the one that comes out when you remove the cage that holds the two springs in by the manual valve and kd valve. The converter valve has to be installed with the largest (widest) spool section last. Two springs; large one is on the pressure regulator valve, and the small one is on the converter valve.

No cooler? I hope you have connected the cooler in and out on the trans together, if not you have most likely ruined it

For starters you want to check the valve rocker arms for loosness. Most of the pushrods will spin with little effort, but there will be a couple of cylinders where the valves are opening and those push rods should be tight as the lifter is riding up on the cam lobe to open the valve.

As Pictured here on cylinder #4. On the intake valve opening.

20220112_184715.jpg

Loop the trans cooler lines together with some rubber hose at the tranny. Then start it up, check the fluid level in neutral after shifting it through all the gears.

Want to make sure the trans has the proper fluid level for starters, don't over fill it either.

Young Man taking on a new challenge and learning things along the way.

Will probably turn out to be a real good mechanic / car builder one of these days.

Got to start somewhere, beats sitting in the house playing video games.

You can isolate the location of the noise with a stethoscope that will give you a better idea of where to start. Go to your local parts store and pick one up. They are similar to the ones used by doctors but will have a rod attached to the end instead of a round cup.

As far as the trans, has it ever worked correctly since you have had it?

If your tach is accurate, it sounds like a failed front pump.
A pressure test will prove it.
IIRC, The cooler line circuit only affect the lube circuit.
Small old tachs used to have a small switch inside that had to be set for the number of cylinders the tach was being used on. On the ones I have seen, usually, the back cover had to be removed to access the switch.

To everyone who has questions..watch my channel on YouTube, I have videos explaining everything.

No offense intended but your videos are a little hard to watch. My advice less talking head and more shots showing you truck and what it is doing. Plus I couldn’t find the video of the trans problem. Better titles for your videos would also be helpful.

One more thing, you came here looking for help. Don’t expect our members to have to put in extra work to help you. It makes you look like your entitled, a common trait of people your age I’m sorry to say.

No offense intended but your videos are a little hard to watch. My advice less talking head and more shots showing you truck and what it is doing. Plus I couldn’t find the video of the trans problem. Better titles for your videos would also be helpful.

One more thing, you came here looking for help. Don’t expect our members to have to put in extra work to help you. It makes you look like your entitled, a common trait of people your age I’m sorry to say.
HE"S JUST A YOUTUBER TRYING TO GET HIS NUMBERS UP. Like I said, I watched his video...JUST SHOOT ME!

HE"S JUST A YOUTUBER TRYING TO GET HIS NUMBERS UP. Like I said, I watched his video...JUST SHOOT ME!

I get that. I figured I would give him one last chance to actually get some help because I did watch a couple of his videos and he really needs the help with the truck……and how to do videos people can actually watch. Lol

I get that. I figured I would give him one last chance to actually get some help because I did watch a couple of his videos and he really needs the help with the truck……and how to do videos people can actually watch. Lol
So for starters..my "truck" is an 02 mustang, and second I'll be dammed before I let the "he's just trying to get views up" slide. I have a 02 mustang with a 318 mopar and 727, deal with it and actually help or keep the little remarks to yourself..please. I worked hard to get it where it's at and I'm brand-new to YouTube so help or move on, link is here https://youtube.com/shorts/zanZYWQ_XdI?feature=share

So for starters..my "truck" is an 02 mustang, and second I'll be dammed before I let the "he's just trying to get views up" slide. I have a 02 mustang with a 318 mopar and 727, deal with it and actually help or keep the little remarks to yourself..please. I worked hard to get it where it's at and I'm brand-new to YouTube so help or move on, link is here https://youtube.com/shorts/zanZYWQ_XdI?feature=share
Let me give you a piece of advice. When shooting video, turn your phone sideways. It gives a much broader viewing area. Also, instead of your fugly mug all the time, try shooting some of the actual problem. lol

Let me give you a piece of advice. When shooting video, turn your phone sideways. It gives a much broader viewing area. Also, instead of your fugly mug all the time, try shooting some of the actual problem. lol

I agree shoot more of the car. If you would have done that I would have known it was a car. For some reason I thought it was a Dakota.

I do love that you stuck a Mopar in a Ford.

-
Back