727 with gear vendors overdrive unit

-

71Demon528

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of a 727 we built last weekend with a gear vendors overdrive unit. It is going in a 1970 Challenger (beautiful car) behind a W9 small block. Pure street car but should make a lot of power. The 727 has a good bit of upgrades. All the parts were supplied by A&A Transmission. I wish I took more photos but when we are working, we are often focused on completing the job and always forget about photos.

The 727 has the following upgrades:
Hardened wide lug pump gears with calico coating
Billet steel big piston front drum (high gear drum) with 5 red clutches and kolene steels
Solid kevlar kickdown band (2nd gear band) with raybestos lining, grooves, and 2.2" wide opposed to the stock 2" wide band
Billet aluminum forward drum piston .875" tall with the later model bellvue spring
4 red clutches and kolene steels in the rear drum (forward gears drum)
Heavy duty band strut
Billet steel 4.2 second gear lever
Accumulator blocker rod
Billet aluminum solid low/reverse servo
Solid kevlar low/reverse band, with grooves
Billet steel 3 pinion front planetary with annulus gear machined for torrington bearings
6 bolt 16 element bolt in ultimate sprag
Rear roller support
Deep cast aluminum pan with billet filter extension, dacron filter, and reusable pan gasket
Forward manual valve body with low band apply and high pressure reverse circuit eliminated
Teflon sealing rings

IMG-0966.jpg

Attached is a picture of a 727 we built last weekend with a gear vendors overdrive unit. It is going in a 1970 Challenger (beautiful car) behind a W9 small block. Pure street car but should make a lot of power. The 727 has a good bit of upgrades. All the parts were supplied by A&A Transmission. I wish I took more photos but when we are working, we are often focused on completing the job and always forget about photos.

The 727 has the following upgrades:
Hardened wide lug pump gears with calico coating
Billet steel big piston front drum (high gear drum) with 5 red clutches and kolene steels
Solid kevlar kickdown band (2nd gear band) with raybestos lining, grooves, and 2.2" wide opposed to the stock 2" wide band
Billet aluminum forward drum piston .875" tall with the later model bellvue spring
4 red clutches and kolene steels in the rear drum (forward gears drum)
Heavy duty band strut
Billet steel 4.2 second gear lever
Accumulator blocker rod
Billet aluminum solid low/reverse servo
Solid kevlar low/reverse band, with grooves
Billet steel 3 pinion front planetary with annulus gear machined for torrington bearings
6 bolt 16 element bolt in ultimate sprag
Rear roller support
Deep cast aluminum pan with billet filter extension, dacron filter, and reusable pan gasket
Forward manual valve body with low band apply and high pressure reverse circuit eliminated
Teflon sealing rings

View attachment 1716068382
Any issues with tunnel clearance for the OD unit?

I put a GV overdrive onto the 727 in a 71 Challenger years ago. I had to beat the living daylights out of the tunnel, right above the OD unit itself. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would build a 518 instead if I want an OD.

I honestly do not know what modifications he has to make to get it to fit properly. He is a body man and very particular so I am sure he will absolutely do a hell of a job making it fit. I will keep you posted as to what he has to do.

wow that's a trip.. i had always assumed it would use a shortened output shaft and be right up against the trans housing...

wow, what's the difference between those two set ups???

That looks like somethin you'd put in a truck.

Wish they made that for a cable shift trans... (i didn't look but i know they don't...) Would be a cool thing to have in a few years..

Any issues with tunnel clearance for the OD unit?

I honestly do not know what modifications he has to make to get it to fit properly. He is a body man and very particular so I am sure he will absolutely do a hell of a job making it fit. I will keep you posted as to what he has to do.

A buddy and I put a GV in his 70 Dart not long ago.
We had to split the tunnel and make about a 2 inch taller and a little wider raised area for the GV housing to clear the tunnel.
Fortunately it is right under the bench seat out of sight.

Once the carpet was back in it wasn’t very noticeable anyway.
With buckets and a console it might be a bit of a problem.

-
Back