73 Dart Conversion

-
This was done "by some amount" back in the day. I'm sure some/ a lot of it was when somebody "mashed up" the front end and managed to find a front clip off another year

BUT THINK!! What you will have (I guess) is a body shell with a 74 VIN. and a 68? front clip.......you will have to change the doors to regain vent windows or it will look a bit odd. And now the hard part...........what you gonna do about the rear? You gonna tear the entire rear apart and put 67-68 quarters and all the rest? and will someone want to BUY this if you decide to sell?

Why would you?

all good points.I was just wondering how much work would be involved.Lots of of clean '73 and'74's around but clean '69's are hard to find.

all good points.I was just wondering how much work would be involved.Lots of of clean '73 and'74's around but clean '69's are hard to find.
I have a 73 Dart with 70 front clip. Love it. Pro street theme. No problem winning shows and have never had any negative comments about it

Front clip swaps are pretty easy. All you need is the everything that unbolts forward of the doors. Which is really just the fenders, hood, front valance, hood latch panel, grill, bumpers and bumper mounts.

'73 vs '74 makes a difference though. Some of the '74's will have a shock mount front bumper, and those won't have the mounting bosses for the earlier non-shock bumper brackets. Not a huge issue, but it does require more work. Also, the '73 would have the 70-73 rear bodywork, the '74 was different. So, if you wanted to convert a '73 to a '70-'72 front clip, well, it would look a lot more like the earlier model. A '73 with a '72 front clip would look exactly like a '72 without wing vents.

If you wanted to do more than the front clip, and you wanted to make it look like a '69, you'd need to replace both quarters, the trunk, and the doors. And yeah, a '73 would still be easier because of the bumper mounts, but at that point that would be the least of your worries...

-
Back