73 Dart slant 6 226

-

jose65cuda

Reaction score
I found a 73 Dart slant 6 226 engine and I was wondering if it will fit my 66 Dart without any modifications and would it bolt up to my old bell housing 3 speed tranny?

Use the oil pan and pickup and the engine mounts appropriate to the '66, and it'll go right in. If you are replacing a 170 engine in your 66, you'll need to adapt the exhaust headpipe because if you raise it up to the higher position of the exhaust outlet with a 225, it will probably hit the floor.

Didn't the torque converter connection change in 1968? I'm looking at a Frank Adkins book (ISBN 1-884089-54-2) where he spells out the differences. He's got a half a page on this subject. Oh and something about a different flex plate. He recommends some spacer from Ed Yost at Wildcat Wrecking in Sandy Oregon.

Manual transmissions do not have torque converters. "3-speed tranny" usually means manual. If the OP has an automatic, then yes, a spacer ring is needed between the large-counterbore '68-up crank flange and the small-nose '67-down torque converter. You can get it from member Charrlie_S (on here).

I have heard that some times the bushing that goes behind the crank some times will not fit? Since the 226 has an automatic I will have to insert the bushing for my 3 speed tranny shaft.

Yes, the pilot bushing is sometimes an issue; crankshafts originally used with automatic trans aren't always finish-bored to accept the pilot bushing. If your crank in the '73 motor is finish-bored, use a NAPA Balkamp № 615-1026. If your crank in the '73 motor isn't finish-bored, the problem-solver bushing is NAPA Balkamp № 615-1033.

(It's a 225, by the way. No such Slant-6 as a 226. )

Yes, the pilot bushing is sometimes an issue; crankshafts originally used with automatic trans aren't always finish-bored to accept the pilot bushing. If your crank in the '73 motor is finish-bored, use a NAPA Balkamp № 615-1026. If your crank in the '73 motor isn't finish-bored, the problem-solver bushing is NAPA Balkamp № 615-1033.

Thanks for the very needed info as always very helpful.

slantsixdan the Napa Balkamp #'s are discontinued and cant seem to find any pilot bushing that will work. Do you know the od on the 651-1026 is? and the od on the 615-1033 ?. The napa pilot bushing that it calls for is B286 and that one is to big the od on the bushing .94.

Balkamp part # 615-1033 would be the right one but it is discontinued. I did a little research and als rapid transit does sell the replacement pilot bushing .915

-
Back