73 Dart Sport Glove Box Door

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if glove box doors / hinges were different for various year Darts / Sports around the 70 - 75 time frame? Trying to get a door to fit my 73 Sport. Door was purchased from a member as a 73 but now not so sure. I watched the video on an earlier post and my hinge is on just like that one. But the door will not close - either the door or the hinge (or both) are different. When bolted up as in the video, the door is at least an inch too high when I try to close it. Below is a photo of the door / hinge. You can see the hinge pivot is far below the bottom of the door.
20200415_125358_resized.jpg

Here is my 73 Dart Sport glove box door. Looks the same to me.

20200415_153533.jpg

20200415_153437.jpg

20200415_153412.jpg

I’d be surprised if there was a difference in the doors from 70 to 76. Even between 2 doors and 4 doors. I know the globe box liner changed from cardboard (?) to plastic sometime during that period. Might just be a matter of adjusting the catch on the upper/inner part of the dashboard? Perhaps the cable stop is getting caught when closing which isn’t helping?

Thanks guys, especially for the photos. I'm gonna try one more time with mine. It does look like timman2's door. If I have the same issues, I'll be back with more photos.

The doors are interchangeable from ‘68 on. The ‘67 cars had a different mechanism with the arms that pull out of the dash so the back of the door is different. That said, the later doors do fit the indent for the glove box door even on a ‘67 dash, so if you fit the later hinge the later door would still work. That would take a little more work.

I run a single push button glove box door from a ‘69 valiant in my ‘74 Duster. You have to match up the latch hardware though, there are different latches and catches depending on the year. There are also small differences in the inner sheet metal between the dashes that had cardboard liners vs ones that had plastic liners. But again, with some minor changes you can mount a plastic glove box liner in the earlier cars. I have one in mine, and it had a cardboard liner originally.

So long story short, that door should fit. I’ll dig up the pictures I have of my plastic liner install and my current door.

As usual, thanks for the great info 72blunblu. Good to have knowledgeable guys on this forum.

Here’s the link to the thread where I described the plastic liner install on my ‘74. It requires a couple of small modifications because the cars with plastic liners had slightly different tabs behind the glove box opening to mount the liners.
Plastic glove box liner

I got it guys. The photos did it. That hinge folds back on itself before you screw it to the dash frame. I wasn't doing that. Thanks again for the help, and thanks 72blunblu for the link to your plastic liner, that's what I have.

I got it guys. The photos did it. That hinge folds back on itself before you screw it to the dash frame. I wasn't doing that. Thanks again for the help, and thanks 72blunblu for the link to your plastic liner, that's what I have.

Thank you! I was just flipping out trying to figure out why it wasn’t lining up. Such a simple solution, but my brain just didn’t want to solve the problem. Lol.

-
Back