73 Dart Sport seat belt switch

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On the 73 Sport, there is a seat belt switch attached to each seat belt roller, and another set of wires connecting to a switch under the seat itself. Since it's been a long time since I drove this car, and I'm in the middle of restoration, what happens if I leave these switches unplugged? The schematic looks like the wiring might feed the starter relay. Do I need to jumper the two wires together to get the car to start, or can I leave them unhooked?

The one under the cushion needs to be made I think. If not, the light on the dash (& buzzer) will stay on until the seatbelt is fastened. I don't think any part of this will keep the vehicle from starting, afaik.

Last edited:
The seatbelt interlock that would prevent start was, as far as I know, 1974 model only. To bypass that is/was common. It's done under the hood, Interlock switch mounted to firewall. Yellow and yellow w/brown tracer get tied together? I forget exactly.
Maybe check that you have the correct year diagram.

Thanks guys. Definitely don't have an interlock under the hood. Each of the front seat belts does have a switch on the outboard side where they roll up. I'll trace the schematic again.

The old trick was to paper clip the connections under the seat. It thinks the seat belt is Buckled and all is good.

-
Back