73 duster ac box into 72 dart

-
A bodies were different both between AC and NON ac vehicles in the same year PLUS there were some pretty significant changes from 67-72 and 73-76.
You didn't say whether the 72 had AC or not but there will be some differences in the firewall either way. Also, I THINK that 72 was the last year for the fresh air box with the little door that opened.

Just like the title says will it fit into a 72 dart?

not without cutting the firewall, but shouldnt be a big deal if thats what your going to use.
hose and blower are different sizes, orientations and/or locations.

A bodies were different both between AC and NON ac vehicles in the same year PLUS there were some pretty significant changes from 67-72 and 73-76.
You didn't say whether the 72 had AC or not but there will be some differences in the firewall either way. Also, I THINK that 72 was the last year for the fresh air box with the little door that opened.
The 72 doesnt have ac

The 72 doesnt have ac
So even if you had a 72 ac box the firewall would be different.

The best way to approach it if you have the car that the 73 is going to come off of you could cut a piece of the 73 firewall to use as a template or weld it in place of the 72..

Some of the controls and dash switches will be different as well.

Ok. The 73 was at a junk yard that has the whole factory ac in it. They were asking 50 bucks for the ac box. I’ll take a look at it as well as my car again to see if it’s gonna be a pain to do it.

if you can get the controls too thats a deal
its just a little trimming cutting and holemaking...maybe welding in some patches to cover the old holes...
but if you can find a 72 ac box you may be hours ahead, fabrication wise.

Cut the firewall out with the A/C car and transfer it to your 72.

Theres also classic auto air with a custom fit setup for your 72 that uses the stock non A/C controls, with a minor mod.

if you can get the controls too thats a deal
its just a little trimming cutting and holemaking...maybe welding in some patches to cover the old holes...
but if you can find a 72 ac box you may be hours ahead, fabrication wise.
I can probably get the controls added in!! Just don’t wanna do to much fab work.

Cut the firewall out with the A/C car and transfer it to your 72.

Theres also classic auto air with a custom fit setup for your 72 that uses the stock non A/C controls, with a minor mod.
I don’t wanna yank out the engine to do this tho but I’ll take a look at what I need to do. I would go with the classic auto air but it’s a bit pricey, I’d rather do an underdash kit for about half the price but will see!

Good thing about classic auto air is no firewall mods, and stock slide lever heater control is retained.

I put a 71 dart factory air in my non ac 68 cuda. The boxes are the same both years for my swap. It was a lot of work, but turned out nice. The 67-72 have the push button controls, I think the 73 up have the two lever controls. I don’t know anything about 73 up, but I had to do a fair amount of firewall work for the swap. Don’t know if 73 is a direct interchange.

For $50 may be worth a try. You will need the controls, lines, compressor & evaporator & get all the pulleys too. Probably should rebuild box with kit from Detroit Muscle. I probably worked on mine for 80 or 100 hours. Spent about $500-600.

The aftermarket market would have been a lot easier, but about $1500 to $2k.

Can help if needed. Think I still have a firewall template I made

Also, I THINK that 72 was the last year for the fresh air box with the little door that opened.

Negative, my 73 dart sport has the air doors by the feet. It was a non-AC thing, not sure what year was the last for it. I love those doors , they really bring the air in. They suck when you have not opened them in a while and it fills the car with leaves and other crap.
Firewall is different for AC vs non-AC. It also changed in 73. Here is an adapter plate I made to install the classic auto air box in my 73 so it bolts in.

20190714_171655.jpg

-
Back