73+ Duster Hood options

-

Fisho

Reaction score
So I'm building up my Duster and as such it involves buying parts and parts cars to get it done. My car currently has a steel hood with a mopar pro stock scoop on it. It was molded on back in the 70s. It looks cool but needs a bit of work to bring it back. It's also heavy, like really heavy.

I just scored a 76 Feather Duster parts car. I'm considering using it's lightweight hood and adding a 68 hemi scoop to it. It is way lighter than my current hood.

Either option is going satin black. I like the looks of both styles but hey a second opinion never hurts.

The first pic is what I'm thinking of doing with the Feather Duster hood.
104.jpg

The pic below is the current hood.
IMG_20171223_135120_928.jpg

Many years ago I talked to the owner of AAR fiberglass at the Mopar Nats. He said many of the 68 SS/H cars were using his hoods and that they were bolting the scoop on. The reasoning is that a bonded scoop eventually cracks at the joint and ruins the paint job. Lotta force generated at 150 MPH!

One thing to look at on the Feather Duster hood is the joints between the aluminum and steel parts as the dis-similar metals promote corrosion, especially in the rust belt. Also the hinge bolt area on the hood. I have a Dart Lite hood sitting in my garage with these issues.

Other than that, your plan is good. But, my personal opinion is that the twin snorkle scoop is more period correct for a 70's car.

Many years ago I talked to the owner of AAR fiberglass at the Mopar Nats. He said many of the 68 SS/H cars were using his hoods and that they were bolting the scoop on. The reasoning is that a bonded scoop eventually cracks at the joint and ruins the paint job. Lotta force generated at 150 MPH!

One thing to look at on the Feather Duster hood is the joints between the aluminum and steel parts as the dis-similar metals promote corrosion, especially in the rust belt. Also the hinge bolt area on the hood. I have a Dart Lite hood sitting in my garage with these issues.

Other than that, your plan is good. But, my personal opinion is that the twin snorkle scoop is more period correct for a 70's car.

Thanks for the heads up. I definitely plan on a bolt on hood with the center supports if I go with the hemi scoop.

Also good points on the aluminum/steel bonding. I'll check that closely when I get the parts car here.

I actually have one of the dual snorkel scoops in storage but I've never been crazy with the look.

-
Back