73 Duster rear top shock mounting point failure

-

JjyKs

Reaction score
So today I was changing my fuel sending unit and noticed that my right shock absorber was completely loose from top. Didn't have enoight light/time to diagnose it from below of the car, but noticed from the trunk that the hole where the shock bolt comes through was completely fucked up.

M14Kthm.jpg

I tried to google, but didn't find any good pictures on how the top is actually assembled, or is this even stock installation (I have super stock springs with a Toyota rear axle mated by previous owner )

Is there something behind that metal that I see from the trunk, or is it okay if I just cut that fucked up piece away and weld a new one in? I found some places where people talked about shock cross member. Is it used in OEM installation? Is it this metal that I see from the trunk, or is it behind it? How fucked I am?

7kQ8CcR.jpg

Are the SS springs re/de arched? If not, a longer shock was needed and will be needed again.

Are the SS springs re/de arched? If not, a longer shock was needed and will be needed again.

No idea to be honest. I hope so. The Toyota rear axle seem to be mated to the car pretty well, so I think that the guy who did it figured it out. Also the hole seems to be damaged upwards, so it seems that the shocks had enough lenght to expand.

I had the same problem with a Duster I had 35 years ago. Bone stock 318 car. The way your shocks are mounted is factory correct. I can't confirm it, but I think if the upper bolts are not fully tightened to spec, this is what will happen. The shock will move a bit every time you drive causing the upper mounting points to flex & eventually wear-out & break. I've had 4-5 A-bodies (3 Dusters) & this only happened on 1 of them. Your best bet is to weld in new metal were the trunk pan cracked, (I know it's kind of a pain) & make sure BOTH upper shocks are tight. Just my opinion.

-
Back